Slow or fast charge deep cycle batteries?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I went and downloaded the manual for the Sterling. There is NO (zero, zip, zilch, nada) evidence that the ammeter on the unit controls anything, and none that there is a shunt that controls anything.
I wouldn’t expect the user manual to get into the details of the charger’s absorption/float algorithm. Users generally would only care that the three stages happen at the appropriate times, not how the appropriate times are computed.

Another excerpt from Maine’s site - “In order to have an ideal recharge the charger really needs to know what is a house load and what is going to the battery. Seeing as battery chargers only know output current, or more accurately the percentage of its power supply being used, as well as voltage, they can’t have any idea what is flowing into the battery and what is flowing to house loads.”

So he’s saying that the charger does have a shunt to measure its output current. The limitation is that the charger doesn’t know how much of that output current is going to the batteries and how much is going to the house loads. Smart(er) chargers can make assumptions about those amounts to guess at the percentage going to the battery. From Maine’s description the Sterling does an acceptable job with those assumptions, but all chargers play it a little safe to not stay in absorption too long.

I have a Xantrex charger, generally regarded as smart but not as smart as the Sterling. It shows the percentage of current being output, and it definitely uses that as part of the algorithm for the absorption duration. When I go out for a long sail and my batteries are down lower the charger stays in absorption for several hours. When I plug in after only a short motor it falls to float after only a few minutes. Different depths of discharge fall in between those extremes. The process may not be as optimal as an ideal charger, but it’s better than an egg timer.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
So he’s saying that the charger does have a shunt to measure its output current.
If there's an ammeter there has to be a shunt, or else the ammeter doesn't work. I know you know that. Others may not.
The POINT, however, as you made it, is that the current is not used in the algorithm, as far as I can read from Maine Sail's stuff.

Smart(er) chargers can make assumptions about those amounts to guess at the percentage going to the battery.
I would urge you to seriously reconsider this. There is NO WAY this could happen, i.e., assumptions. It can ONLY work on voltage sensing. Period.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Smart(er) chargers can make assumptions about those amounts to guess at the percentage going to the battery.
There is NO WAY this could happen, i.e., assumptions. It can ONLY work on voltage sensing. Period.
The charger can't know where the current is going, it just knows the system can take more current. When other devices come on line, the charger sees there is less resistance in the system so more current can flow from the charger. Remember Ohm's Law.

In real life, my ProMariner will be floating along with a 5 amp output, then the refrigeration comes on and it draws ~30 amps. At that point the charger's output increases to ~35 amps because the total resistance in the system has gone down allowing more current to flow through. The battery still gets 5 amps, the rest goes to the pump and compressor. When the refrigerator shuts off, the only resistance left is the battery and that can only absorb 5 amps so the charger only puts out 5 amps.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I would urge you to seriously reconsider this. There is NO WAY this could happen, i.e., assumptions. It can ONLY work on voltage sensing. Period.
It appears I stand corrected. The ProCharge Ultra instruction manual doesn’t have the details, but the ProCharge Ultra Lite manual does - https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0658/7343/files/PCULite.pdf?14602797105305947030

Specifically - “Setting Absorption Time Factor (ATF).
ATF is simply a number (0-14) that can be used to multiply by the length of time the charger takes to reach the bulk/boost voltage from start. For example, if the bulk voltage is reached in 10 minutes with the ATF at 4, then 10mins x (ATF 4) = 40 mins of absorption.”

So based on that at least the time really is just dependent on voltage, not using the output current during the absorption phase as an input.