Sloppy shifting lever

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 380 16 Rochester NY
Hi guys,

Been a hectic summer. For everyone I am sure.

I spent all of March, April and May (and June) removing all the hardware on the boat (1977 Catalina 30...):
drilling out the holes,
filling holes with silicone so they wouldn't leak until I could get to them;
spending a week cleaning that STUPID MISTAKE UP with various silicone eaters
filling with epoxy,
sanding,
fairing,
more sanding,
taking windows out, having the frames powder coated,
more sanding,
not bagging or logging all the little bolts or screws or where they came from,
making bigger messes,
covering all the open holes with plastic and gorilla tape,
spending extra hours cleaning all the duct tape residue off,
more sanding

Then priming and painting topsides.
I am very happy with the outcome.

I also redid the anti slip areas with Awlgrip. Great stuff and it works and looks great. Note to anyone.Take the masking tape off IMMEDIATELY!!! DO NOT WAIT.
As I did this in June, it was warm enough to get that paint to set up real fast...I had to go back with utility knife to get tape off without pulling semi-cured paint.

Before I did that, I had to reinstall hardware, but with newly painted topsides, I did not have a perfect reference of where things went. Had to go from below, and that is not always perfect. Again, note to others. Be sure to lay out holes topside so you can see them after painting.

Powder coating the window frames look great, I should have had them NOT coat the inside rails where windows go. Tight fit, but they work and look very nice.

So my question. I have the old Cinkel (Edson look alike) pedestal with Atomic 4 shifters for tranny and throttle.

The transmission shifter slides over the rod into the pedestal. Originally, it looks like there was a threaded screw that held the shifter in place over the rod.
Over the years, this created an elongated hole in the rod and has created 'slop' in the lever.
I tried to compensate for this by drilling out the hole through the lever and increasing the size a bit. Hoping a through bolt tightened down would do the trick.

It has not worked.

If I take the lever out, I can put a large 'bore' screw driver through the hole and shift no problem. With the lever in place, I am bottoming out on the steering when I try to shift 'down' into reverse (because of the play). The Atomic transmission is properly adjusted...it's just the sloppy lever.

I can't find parts for the Cinkel, they are not interchangeable....any thoughts?

Attachments

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
[edit] sleeve the hole (and/or handle if necessary)?

Take the rod to a machine shop to duplicate?
Take the rod to a welder to fill and redrill?
Cross post the Q? over on the official C-30 Assn forum, one of the 1600 might have had the same issue?

Last edited: