slippery deck, awlprip versus durabak

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

michael burke

Hello everybody, I know that Awlgrip really has made a name for itself in the marine industry, but I am curious if anyone has tried durabak on their decks. I just received a sample piece in the mail from Durabak and I must say the product looks great and has a much more aggressive anti slip surface. It is to my understanding that Durabak 18 is the marine grade with U.V. protection, if anybody has pros or cons about this stuff please let me know. Thank you very much. Sincerely, Michael Burke

Mar 3, 2007
Catalina 36 Lexington Mi
non skid

I put new non-skid on my deck last spring and used Awlgrip. If Durabak has a more aggressive anti slip I would be afraid of skinning my knees if i fell. I didn't mix the anti skid powder into the paint. This is the way they do it at my boat yard and the results look great and the grip you get is awesome. Tape off where you want to put the non-skid. sand any of the old nonskid off. prime and paint. This is the trick..you take a can of the non skid and poke a bunch of small holes in the lid (as many as you can get in it). The next part takes two people. You paint a coat of fresh paint and some one follows you with the shaker can and coats the paint with a heavy coat of the nonskid powder. Make it heavy to get the best results. Let it dry completely then vacuum up the powder then paint one more coat over it, peel up the tape. You will have a great looking deck that looks like it was done at the factory and will have great grip. This is what worked for me, I am sure there are others with different ways so good luck with how ever you choose to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.