Slip Loss - at Dana Point - SPEAKOUT to oppose MASSIVE NEGATIVE BOATER IMPACT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2005
MacGregor Mac26D Richardson, TX; Dana Point, CA
Earlier I posted a HELP WANTED post... too much detail - hopefully this is clearer.

You Today - Me Tomorrow.... - an old Russian Proverb.

Dana Point Harbor is about to be ADVERSELY affected by "Modernization Plans" discussed at a California Coastal Commission hearing on Thursday. What happens at Dana can and likely will be used up and down the West Coast... We are in support of California Coastal Commission - and OPPOSE the Harbor/City of Dana Point's Retail Conversion "modernization plan". Similar marina attrition losses have happened all over the EAST and Gulf COAST - so I ask ALL fellow boaters to OPPOSE these plans by:

1 - Emailing a letter OPPOSING "Modernization" to:
Bonnie Neely ==> bonnie.neely"@"co.humbolt.ca.us
Teresa Henry ==> thenry"@"coastal.ca.gov
Fernie Sy ==> fsy"@"coastal.ca.gov
Bruce Heyman ==> bruceheyman"@"cox.net (CC for use by Bruce at the meeting)
(REMOVE the " (quotes) to send email - this avoid spammers)

2 - FAX (if you can) an "Modernization OPPOSING Letter" to:
(415) 904-5400 (Calif. Coastal Commission Headquarters)
(562) 590-5084 (South Coast - Calif. Coastal Commission)

3 - ATTEND THE MEETING on June 11 (Thursday) AND SPEAK FOR YOURSELF.... if possible.
June 11, 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Marina Del Rey
LA/OC (South Coast Area) "Marina Del Rey Hotel"
13534 Bali Way
Marina del Rey, CA 90292
Item 22.5a (Dana Point Harbor Marina Development Plan - LCPA-DPT-1-08)

Sending in YOUR BOATER COMMENTS - HAS PROVEN VERY EFFECTIVE - in the recent past.

To Summarize: Dana "Modernization plans" may result in:

1 - Slip loss of 477 net slips - with 1100 boats likely to come out of the water.
2 - Shipyard size reduction in favor of "Festival Plaza":
- You can go 25 offshore miles to Newport Beach for that Critical Maintenance need.
- more difficult for normal maintenance - so marina boats will be more "run down"
3 - Dedicated boater parking moved up to 1000 feet away: nice hike to haul your Gear!
4 - Trailer Boat Parking - fewer and smaller spaces
5 - Loss or moving of 683 additional dry storage boat locations.
6 - No New Yacht or Boating Clubs - EVERY!!!! Yet "new retail space" has no defined tennants.
7 - Reductions of perhaps 60% of dedicated boater parking. Prepare to hike.
8 - Slip and Boat Fee increases. Vast reduction of boat slips means that the REST of the
boaters must pick up the cost - to ensure that our slips continue to be 41%+ profitable!

Dana Point Harbor (www.danapointharbor.com - Dana Point, CA) is PUBLICLY owned. It has 2409 wet and additional 683 trailer/dry boat storage spaces.

I previously posted a LOT OF DETAIL - for those who want to check into it in depth. So I summarize here - and ask your email support - whether you are in Maine, the Gulf Coast, Florida, or in Newport Beach. EROSION of our marina resources is something that affects us all.

It is NOT - IN MY STRONG OPINION - either a MODERNIZATION or a REVITALIZATION - when the Boaters take a MASSIVE IMPACT in resources or available services. It's more of a "RETAIL GRAB"... That's why I am posting this email.....

--Jerry Robinson
Boat Owner at Dana Point Harbor
(Columbia 28 MK II )

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Just gotta tell ya, Jerry

That I was turned off by your posting because of spelling, rants and the fact that the important point came at the end of the topic. It took me a while to figure out what the issue was and how I could help.

We have a similar situation here where the Treasure Island Development Authority, in a guise of removing derelict boats, wants to start "permitting' anchoring. How dare they!?! I spent the better part of the weekend writing a long letter to the authority with a copy to Latitude 38.

I haven't copied it here, just posted it on our local C34 Fleet 1 message board, because, quite frankly, I doubt if there's anything YOU can do to help ME up HERE. Even though permitting anchorages, like the stupids are trying to do in Florida, may eventually affect us all.

I'd love to help. Draft a letter that I can copy and edit a bit to make sense, or link me to your older post so I can understand your point and I'd love to help.

I don't know how we can help much though, because what your issue is is BIG $$$ and local votes. Same for us up here, don't know how your chiming in could help, 'cuz they'd say "Oh, who cares about someone from Somewhere else even if they're still in California." You need to get your boaters together - how ya doin' on that? Have you contacted your local sailing rags and local newspapers?

And you don't even have to chime in on our anchoring permitting nonsense here, but if you'd like to read my letter, try this: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5020.0.html

Jul 24, 2005
it seems to be going around....

Boaters are good business for most places.... Just seems that this slip and boatyard/marina attrition is a national thing - and is affecting us all..

We all were at risk with Nutty Rules being threatened this past year.. it seems to be a general problem.

--jerry

Jul 24, 2005
This time the Boaters are in full agreement with the Coastal Commission. We just need to send emails/faxes to the staff to "voice" the support...

In the past, Dana Boaters were hit with a "possessory tax" on their slips and spaces at Dana Point. A boater group organized, protested, and got a law firm to provide contingency help. The strategy worked and boaters benefited... Dana Point Harbor is owned by Orange County - so the issue was paying TAX on the slip - for property OWNED by the county. Given the PROFITABILTY of the slip to the County, it was pretty significant.

Dana Point Boaters have organized as a group
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]www.boaters4dph.com

Organizing - as I am sure you know - is just a part of what is needed to be effective. I am sure that information can be passed on and could be useful for your issues.. That is the whole idea, after all...

As that the Dana Point issue is before the California Coastal Commission - it is one item with a locality "of the state..."

--jerry

[/FONT]

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Once again...

Earlier I posted a HELP WANTED post... too much detail - hopefully this is clearer.

I previously posted a LOT OF DETAIL - for those who want to check into it in depth.
OK, clue me in, Jerry. Where? I'd love to read it. And you have an important cause with the California Coastal Commission. Help!:doh:

Mar 12, 2008
Jeanneau 49 DS San Pedro, CA
Jerry, the harbor is owned by the county, but the water is owned by the State of California. Because the marina is a public entity, the State of California can't tax the county, so they hit everyone with a possessory tax for using public lands. I pay the same tax indirectly, as my marina is privately owned and operated. The marina passes it on in my monthly bill. The issue with the possessory tax in Orange County was the County forgot to send the bills for an extended time, and then tried to collect for back taxes. Didn't seem fair, and the County relented under public pressure.

Having said that, I go in and out of Dana Point several times a year, as it is one of my favorite stops. I'll have to check out the info! I hate to think that they will ruin the harbor in the name of redevelopment.

Jul 24, 2005
I posted this earlier... can't find with the search, though....

I posted WAY TOO MUCH INFORMATION.... I had that pointed out to me - but you asked for the info Stu..... :>

Bottom line is that I think all are in favor of MODERNIZATION or REVITALIZATION - but when that means drastic cut backs in the number of slips and dry storage - as well as greatly reduced services - I don't think that qualifies. The Detail's of the plan are where this information can be dug out....

AND - I am NOT opposiing what the California Coastal Commission is saying... I think they have the right of it... But I AM urging people to EMAIL or FAX and oppose the "Revitalization Plan"...

(I am a bit biased... sorry......) Here is my too much information email....

Loss of Dry Boat Storage, Boater Slips, Trailer/Tow Vehicle Parking, Dedicated Boater Parking and Accessible Shipyard Space is a HUGE and IMMEDIATE Boater Problem.
I ask for YOUR immediate help in OPPOSING an impending great loss in Wet Slip, Dry Boat Storage, Trailer Tow/Vehicle Parking, Dedicated Boater Parking and Shipyard Space at a wonderful Harbor. Dana Point Harbor (http://www.danapointharbor.com - Dana Point, CA) is PUBLICLY owned and has 2409 wet and additional 683 trailer/dry boat storage spaces. Strategically located between LA and San Diego, Dana Point Harbor has always been a SAFE and RELIABLE place to stop in and visit or make needful repairs.
An impending "Dana Point Harbor Modernization" plan will have a hearing before the California Coastal Commission on Thursday, June 11, in Marina Del Rey. "Harbor Modernization" sounds great - but the proposed plan may have unintended consequences:
1 - Dedicated boater parking may move up to 1,000 feet away from the docks: A nice hike to haul your Gear!
2 - Dana Point Shipyard may be stripped by 1 acre in favor of a "Festival Plaza". Thousands of resident and visiting boaters may need to take their boat 25 offshore miles - to Newport Harbor - when needed critical repair or normal maintenance is required. Aside from potentially increased consumption of hundreds of thousands of gallons of fuel, there are strong adverse impacts on safety and boat maintenance:
- If a boat needs critical maintenance - is there increased safety risk with a 25 mile offshore jaunt to a shipyard?
- It will be more difficult to maintain a boat, therefore the average person's boat may be in a more "run down" condition.
3 -Will there be room to replace the existing 683 dry boat storage locations in the "Commercial Core"? There is no spelled out provision and the expectation is that 100’s of additional boats will have to leave the harbor.
4 - With 477 net slips to be eliminated, the CCC Staff recognizes that perhaps 1,100 boats will likely have to come out of the water. The proposed Land Use Plan attempts to protect these boaters with the same land that in all likelihood is not enough to protect existing dry boat storage: can't have two boats in the same space. (see item 3 above).
5 - Trailer Boater Tow Vehicle Parking Areas: Fewer and smaller spaces with a parking garage in the middle.
6 - No new Yacht or Boating Clubs allowed - EVER!!!! - in Dana Point Harbor. Our Yacht and Boating Clubs have been awesome citizens in the Harbor. Why this exclusion in favor of yet undetermined retail or restaurant space? Do we NEED more shops selling "Cheap Trinkets" which are soon to be landfill fodder along with their packaging?
7 - Parking is now and will continue to be a serious harbor concern. Harvesting boater parking as the "main solution" will not help the massive commercial expansion. In the East Commercial Cove alone - dedicated boater parking will be reduced 60%. Going back to #1, you better be prepared to HIKE - "IF" you can find a space. Creative parking methods of dual use or time of day use are not on the platter.
Note: Slip fee increases: do the math. a reduction of possibly 1100 boats means that "costs" must be picked up by remaining boaters. Prepare for steep increases in fees.
To help:
1 - Stand up and AGREE with the California Coastal Commission staff. Boater resources have to be protected within the harbor and not be banished to some "distant location". Simply putting boat storage facilities somewhere on South Coast Water District Rate Payer's Land is not ACCEPTABLE MITIGATION for the City and County's attempt to build stores and restaurants where boaters operate today. Off site boat storage is NOT the same as a SLIP or in harbor surface storage.
2 - Since TIME IS SHORT -> WRITE A LETTER and email or fax it before this THURSDAY HEARING. Send it to (please send a carbon copy to Bruceheyman”@”cox.net (fax: (949) 489-8352)) so that it can be included in the package for the Commissioners:
Bonnie Neely ==> bonnie.neely"@"co.humbolt.ca.us
Teresa Henry ==> thenry"@"coastal.ca.gov
Bruce Heyman ==> bruceheyman"@"cox.net California Coastal Commission: Headquarters FAX: (415) 904-5400 / South Coast FAX: (562) 590-5084
(for email contact - remove QUOTES ( " ) from the given email address) Bruce (949) 289-8400 will be at the meeting along with boaters throughout southern California, along with members of Boaters for Dana Point Harbor and Dana Point Boaters Association.
3 - If possible, attend the MEETING YOURSELF - and SPEAK up. It does matter - and has PROVEN to be effective. What happens at Dana Point Harbor can - and likely will - happen up and down the West Coast...
So - why is YOUR assistance needed NOW?
1. What happens at Dana Point Harbor will set a very dangerous president that will be used by Harbor Directors up and down the coast to be able to put developments in place of recreational boating resources. We need to make a really concerted effort to get this stopped next week. The Marina Management Company also manages OTHER Marinas and yet OTHER Marinas can (and have in the past) used actions such as this as precedence: What happens here may ripple up and down the coat.
2. Our Harbor Director has sent out letters to various marine organizations asking for letters to be sent to the California Coastal Commission. This request is for support to “Modernize" our harbor. Our Harbor Director will be using these support letters in FAVOR of the "Modernization plan" in his presentation next week. The true implications of the LUP, however, are not obvious without a careful reading.
3. Boaters who speak up CAN HAVE A POWERFUL EFFECT: REALLY!!! Previously, the Dana Point Boaters Association (DPBA) had a profound effect mobilizing harbor boaters in opposition against "Possessory Interest Tax". It was successful.
The Boaters for Dana Point Harbor and the DPBA are in agreement with the California Coastal Commission Staff in that we need to protect the recreational boating resources. WE REALLY need your help to make the case for Boaters - as this Harbor "Modernization" comes up for consideration.
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES:
www.boaters4dph.com
www.danapointboaters.org
California Coastal Commission - June 10-12 Meeting
The most important day to be at the California Coastal Commission Hearing is Thursday (June 11) for item 22.5a. However if you can be there on Wednesday then you would have an opportunity to speak to the commission during the public comment period. There are lots of issues that can be brought up.
California Coastal Commission Meeting
June 10-12, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Marina Del Rey
LA/OC (South Coast Area) "Marina Del Rey Hotel:
13534 Bali Way
Marina del Rey, CA 90292
Dana Point Harbor Marina Development Plan ( LCPA-DPT-1-08) has been agendized at these hearings. The hearing date for item 22.5a is scheduled for June 11, 2009 starting at 8:00AM (exact time of agenda item #22.5 is not certain).
It is very difficult to predict exactly what the hearing time for item 22.5a will be. Typically there are lots of items moved to the consent calendar or postponed. We won’t know those items till the actual morning of the hearing. I would be surprised if the Dana Point Marina Development topic would occur before lunch. Traditionally, they have never broken for lunch before 12:00 but have gone as late as 1:30.
At this point the best thing to do with the letters is to get them heading to Madam Chair Neely, Teresa Henry (CCC staff in long beach) and a copy to Bryce Heyman. That way Bruce can make sure a copy of the letter is included in the packet.
1 - California Coastal Commission Meeting Announcement:
http://www.coastal.ca.gov/mtgcurr.html
2 - Contacts for the Marina Del Rey Meeting:
Madam Chair - Bonnie Neely ==> bonnie.neely"@"co.humbolt.ca.us District Manager - Teresa Henry ==> thenry"@"coastal.ca.gov
Bruce Heyman ==> bruceheyman”@”cox.net
(to contact - remove QUOTES ( " ) from the given email address)
Interested in the going forward Harbor Finances?
The following meeting is no longer a workshop – it is now open for public comment, and will last the entire County Board Of Supervisors Meeting. This coming Wednesday is for public comment to adopt this fiscal budget:
Orange County Board of Supervisors:
1. (All information listed on CBOS Left-hand NAV Menu Bar): http://egov.ocgov.com/ocgov/Government/Board of Supervisors 2. Link to leave your CBOS opinion http://egov.ocgov.com/ocgov/Government/Board of Supervisors/Voice Your Opinion Online 3. Online Comments/Opinions Link (limited to 250 characters):
http://www.ocgov.com/opinion/scripts/Main.asp
Dana Point harbor boaters MORE than pull their weight. According to a study, Dana Point boaters bring in 70% of the harbor revenue and 79% of the profit. Boater fees are an extremely profitable revenue source for the harbor community.
We need your help to keep our Harbor on the Right Track.... So please come to the meeting, send an email, or a fax today!
--Jerry Robinson Boat Owner at Dana Point Harbor (Columbia 28 MK II )

--jerry

Jul 24, 2005
Windward54....

It DID take cooperative organization by boater groups and the hiring of a Legal Firm - in order to Get OC to "back down"....

OC folks were PERFECTLY HAPPY to value my 40 year old boat at TWICE the (recent) purchase price... I don't think they backed down simply on the merit of what you correctly observe.

I appreciate that I put TOO MUCH information in my original posting. Sorry... It seemed that if you wanted the source detail - that you might need an easy way to find it...

--jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.