Sliding gunter

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston

I didn’t want to hijack the lantern rig thread so I started a new one.

I think this would be a very sexy rig for a small VickIng longboat replica ... like this one.
00e0e_klcpumomkv1_1200x900.jpg

Move the mast forward and it should work.

i was also intrigued by the various ways they described bending the luff to the yard and I got to thinking about the jib luff on my hobie... it has a wire luff thAt effectively becomes the forestry once I pull the halyard tight. So! I wonder if you could do the same with a gunter main? The trick would be to build a yard that was strong enough and stiff enough. BUT we have carbon fiber these days.... just sayin’:biggrin:

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Moving the mast forward may create forces that the structure is not set up for. It's already not centered in the boat. (Count the ribs- the perspective is tricky.) Further forward the shrouds will be closer together, increasing the load on them and the pressure on the mast step, which could push the keel out of wack. Keeping the rudder in the water on starboard tack might get interesting, too. Looks like they might have a yard for a square sail already, but don't want to get it winged by a passing school bus.

Jan 19, 2010
Yes... it would require modification. I have built a strip plank canoe once and I've read a few books on clinker boat building so...I've been fantasizing about building something like this for a long time now. At present, I don't have the shop for it.

What I have in mind is sort of a Frankenstein made to look like a small Viking longboat but it would have a more modern underbody. I would "borrow" the rudder design from a traditional Carolina sharpie and ditch the steerboard. That should preserve the ability to get into shoal water... but I would have a better helm experience than a steerboard...and I've considered adding a simple dagger board so I could get better pointing ability but I may go with a stub and put some ballast in the stub. Not sure yet.

I would add mast partners so I could ditch the standing rigging and I would probably add a small self tacking jib. I like the sliding gunter for its ability to keep the "air draft" low. It would be nice to be able to get under bridges etc. I think a crabclaw rig would also look very cool on this Frankenstein. I've even imagined adding amas and an outrigger but now I'm getting a little crazy. :kick:

I'd also like to keep the beam narrow so I could easily row this boat.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Difficult to make a more modern underbody than a Viking longboat. They've been clocked at 13+ knots. Perhaps look at Commodore Monroe's Egret design and Chesapeake Light Craft.

Jan 19, 2010
Difficult to make a more modern underbody than a Viking longboat. They've been clocked at 13+ knots. Perhaps look at Commodore Monroe's Egret design and Chesapeake Light Craft.
Right! But they don't point well. So a dagger board would be nice to drop when trying to point.

I have also read this book cover to cover several times...

1598543952734.png

I am equally enamored with the Egret but think the longboat is much sexier.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Paul makes good points and you have already, obviously thought a lot about much of this.

Have you considered something even more traditional for a Viking longboat? I'm referring to a modified lateen rig.
Keep mast near center and the square rig yard, but modify its ability to pivot on the masthead so it can change from square rig to lateen yard with a sail that is cut to perform as a high aspect ratio lateen. Basically take a triangular lateen sail and cut the clew off so you have two clews, like a square sail. This would allow you to fly the sail as a lateen, with a second sheet for the upper clew, or bring the yard horizontal to fly as a square sail.

I don't have a detailed image in my head for how it would actually work, but I think it could be done. Then, you get higher pointing performance and the traditional Viking longboat look.

This is sort of like what I was thinking

Just imagine it is a trapezoid shaped sail and the yard pivots to horizontal in front of the masthead or around to the other side for changing tack.
With a high stern stem, the upper clew's sheet could work from a better angle.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 19, 2010
Paul makes good points and you have already, obviously thought a lot about much of this.

Have you considered something even more traditional for a Viking longboat? I'm referring to a modified lateen rig.
Keep mast near center and the square rig yard, but modify its ability to pivot on the masthead so it can change from square rig to lateen yard with a sail that is cut to perform as a high aspect ratio lateen. Basically take a triangular lateen sail and cut the clew off so you have two clews, like a square sail. This would allow you to fly the sail as a lateen, with a second sheet for the upper clew, or bring the yard horizontal to fly as a square sail.

I don't have a detailed image in my head for how it would actually work, but I think it could be done. Then, you get higher pointing performance and the traditional Viking longboat look.

This is sort of like what I was thinking

Just imagine it is a trapezoid shaped sail and the yard pivots to horizontal in front of the masthead or around to the other side for changing tack.
With a high stern stem, the upper clew's sheet could work from a better angle.

-Will (Dragonfly)
It would be fun to try that. And sounds like you would get better performance down wind.