Sleeping in the Walmart Parking Lot

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
I recently bought a trailerable sailboat and had a 4,500 km tow home with it. On the way home we found out that many Walmarts will let you park overnight in their lot and sleep in your car, motorhome, trailer, or whatever. We slept on the boat each night and ate meals on board, saving a bundle on hotel and restaurant expenses. I'm throwing that out in case there are other trailerable owners who didn't know about it who might find it useful on a long trip.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
It's a great set up. You can buy stuff you might need in the store, even food. You can use the washrooms until 10 PM and they re-open at 7 AM (at the stores we stopped at). None of the stores we stopped at had showers, but you can shower at Flying J truck stops, in Canada. I'm sure there's something similar in the U.S. It revolutionized our trip across the country with a boat on a trailer.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
We slept on the boat each night and ate meals on board
That is one benefit that we enjoyed, in spite of the fact we didn't do as much trailering as planned.

While I wouldn't sleep at a Walmart unless I had no other choice, we did use campgrounds.
The reaction from other campers was priceless. Especially if we were sitting in the cockpit, eating, reading etc.

People of Walmart
I believe they are formally called "Walmartians"

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
It revolutionized our trip across the country with a boat on a trailer.
You should also look into using the small town, municipal camgrounds.

They are often free. Run by veterans, rotary club, etc. Often very nice and in the middle of town.

You buy stuff at the local small town stores and eat real food at the local diner. Breakfast with fresh apple pies... Yum.. No dishes. No cleanup.. Just eat and go.

Best part is you spend money with the small guys instead of the Walton family Corp.

We once woke up to a Saturday morning, little league baseball practice, on a field next to the boat, and then made friends with the locals at the diner.

You will occasionally get the "piano player stops playing" type of initial reaction, but if you are the friendly type, you can then become the entertainment of the week.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
While in wouldn't sleep at a Walmart unless I had no other choice, we did use campgrounds.
I initially considered campgrounds for our trip. For sure I would look at campgrounds if it was a pleasure trip, so to speak--definitely a nicer environment than a parking lot. But in our case the priorities were practicality and cost. Walmart parking lots have it all over campgrounds by those measures.

For example, my truck needed an oil change part way through the trip. No problem in the Walmart parking lot. Nobody even batted an eye.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
The second night after I took delivery of my brand new 40' class A from the factory, I had a reservation at a campground in Little Rock. I showed up at the campground at 5:30 pm only to find out that they lock the gate at 5:00pm and there is no way to get in after that. I continued west calling every campground I could find a listing for but after a couple of hours (and 100 miles) of trying with no success, I pulled into a Walmart and spent a very peaceful night in the parking lot with about a dozen semi's and 3-4 other RV's. In the morning, I when in a bought some groceries and other supplies before continuing on. It was nice to have a fall-back.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
You should also look into using the small town, municipal camgrounds.

They are often free. Run by veterans, rotary club, etc. Often very nice and in the middle of town.
Best part is you spend money with the small guys instead of the Walton family Corp.
How can you find places like this? Especially if you are traveling. I've run across one or two, but it was just by luck. Is there was a reliable directory somewhere?

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
One cannot just pull into any Walmart, or for that matter public parking lot, and assume that overnight stay is allowed. One should have the common courtesy of talking to the manager and getting permission. Unfortunately this is not always the case. At the Walmart where I shop, this practice it is not allowed. However, the parking lot is big and not all of it is related to Walmart. There are other businesses that lends to the question of who has what say over parking. There are even signage saying overnight parking is not allowed.

If one is going to stay at a Walmart vice a local hotel/motel, have the common courtesy to ask for permission instead of pleading ignorance and saying I'm sorry. I know, it is easier to say the latter than doing the former.

Safe travels and as always, JMHO.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
How can you find places like this? Especially if you are traveling. I've run across one or two, but it was just by luck. Is there was a reliable directory somewhere?
Every time I found them, it was usually either a old campground listing book or advice of others. We have only found a few online.
That may have changed recently.

I suspect that due to the fact they are usually free, and run by small town councils or veterans or whatever, many aren't listed online yet.
Some are listed online, but many do seem to be behind the times.

It is also amazing how many great camp locations we have found by stopping and asking people.

The time when we woke up next to a baseball game, was a last minute place because we couldn't find a anything else available. We asked at the gas station and they said.. "Yeah.. We have one in the park."

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
One cannot just pull into any Walmart, or for that matter public parking lot, and assume that overnight stay is allowed. One should have the common courtesy of talking to the manager and getting permission.
Yeah, as always, don't be an idiot. But it's definitely not necessary to talk to the manager. You can find on the web in advance which Walmarts allow it and which don't and plan your trip accordingly. (Sorry, no link handy but it's not hard to find.) Generally speaking, when a Walmart doesn't allow it it's because of local bylaws, not the manager.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Walmart doesn't allow it it's because of local bylaws, not the manager.
In many cases Walmart doesn't own the land/parking lot. They are simply tenants. They don't have the ability to make the decision to allow it.

If the list you refer to is not constantly updated, I would NOT 100‰ trust it. Less and less Walmarts allow overnight stays in their lot, assuming they even own them.

Asking the manager is simply asking them to confirm the rules. Nothing to do with the manager having the authority to make the decision.

Last edited:

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
Asking the manager is simply asking them to confirm the rules. Nothing to do with the manager having the authority to make the decision.
Relevant quote from the Walmart corporate web site (emphasis mine):

While we do not offer electrical service or accommodations typically necessary for RV customers, Walmart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers. Consequently, we do permit RV parking on our store parking lots as we are able. Permission to park is extended by individual store managers, based on availability of parking space and local laws. Please contact management in each store to ensure accommodations before parking your RV.

It appears that each individual Walmart manager has the authority to either allow or prohibit overnight parking, so long as local bylaws don't prohibit it.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
So the Walmart Manager can allow it or not... Assuming. His landlord and the local government allows it.

Obvious.

I doubt a manager of a Walmart has any say on what his landlord will allow.

Of course local bylaws would also restrict it.

But as that says... Ask the manager. He will be knowledgable about the local situation. If Walmart actually owns the land or parking, what the local government rules are etc.