Skreeeeching companionway hatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dennis Thomas

When I slide the main companionway hatch open or closed, it often emits a terrible screech of fiberglass on fiberglass. The boat is an 82 model, 36'. I have put some WD40 on the slide but not much as I am concerned about staining the gel coat. I haven't taken the hatch cover off to get at the hidden part of the track. I have considered doing this and laying in teflon tape on both the hatch slides and the top of the cabin. Anyone with an easy solution?

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Wax

Don't bother with WD40. Most people don't realize that it's actually a solvent, not a lubricant. It might help sort term, but it will soon eradicate any lubrication that might be there & make your problem worse. Try a stick of paraffin wax. Might help & couldn't hurt! LaDonna PS: there are lubricating teflon sprays that might work but I'd spray it on a rag first & then wipe it on to avoid it running where you don't want it.

J

Jon Kellams

Screeching hatch

Been there! Tried sprays, wax, etc. Recently removed hatch and placed plastic pads on all 4 corners and it works great. Bought them at Home Depot in 4 pack. They were in the department with pads that you place on bottoms of chair legs. Good Luck

S

Stan Rogacevicz srogacev@holycross.edu

Vasoline

I use Vasoline for sqeeks. My c28 and c320 came with some kind of tape - maybe teflon - on the hatch tracks but it doesn't seem to do much. Stan

R

Roger

got this from the Catalina list

Here's a tip I just recently extracted from sailnets catalina list (apologies to the originator, I stripped all but the info from the post :-( ) : Helping the Companionway Hatch Slide Insert a strip of the thickest mylar film an inch wide and about 30 inches long into each channel that the hatch cover slides in. Use a little liquid silicone to hold it in place. Using a small dowel, place about ten small dabs of silicone in the track before sliding in the mylar. Open hatch cover about 4 inches from all the way in. Have someone push up on the hatch cover, then slide mylar strips in as far as you can, taking care to get the front of the strip between hatch cover and the deck itself. Works great, opens easier and the noise is gone.

L

Lenny DeMoranville

that noise

I just returned from sail expo @ Atlantic City and talked to Jerry Douglas because i have the same problem. He recomended melting candle wax in as much of track length as possible and working it in . I am going to try it when it gets warmer , if you have anything better let me know w30chime@aol.com

R

Randy

Squeaking hatch

I'd be inclined to try regular fiberglass or automotive wax on the exposed track. I've done this before--not only did it reduce squeaks, but it made the hatch easier to slide fore and aft. Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.