Skip Allan's Wildflower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 20, 2006
- - Chapel Hill, NC
Some of you may be familiar with Skip Allan. He's an offshore sailboat racer with a penchant for winning the Singlehanded Transpac race as well as many other singlehanded and crewed races. He's a consummate seaman who's been sailing for over five decades. For over 30 years he's sailed his 27' Wylie Hawkfarm Wildflower (more accurately, it was the prototype of the Hawkfarm and Skip built it himself). Unfortunately, while returning from Hawaii, having completed this year's Singlehanded Transpac, he found himself in dangerous seas. For 3 days he and Wildflower endured brutal conditions appx. halfway betwixt CA and HI. He eventually made the difficult decision to transfer to a cargo ship and scuttle Wildflower. Read the full account here:

http://www.sfbaysss.net/showpost.php?p=1357&postcount=17

and continued here:

http://www.sfbaysss.net/showpost.php?p=1358&postcount=18

Skip has been an inspiration to me and many others who dream of ocean voyages. His extensive ocean sailing record should suffice to squash any armchair sailors who second guess his decision making. Of particular note is his awareness of his family obligations. A poster on another forum reminds us of a pertinent quotation from a prominent high altitude mountaineer, Ed Viesturs: "Reaching the summit is optional. Getting down is mandatory."

Best of luck to Skip. Full respect.

TimCup

Jan 30, 2008
Catalina 22 St. Pete
I'm filled with sadness, and a sense of irony...

Although vaguely familiar with Skip Allen, having read about his exploits in sailing magazines, he was no more real to me than a character in a book. Until now.

I don't think anyone could second guess his decision. The connection between he and Wildflower was obvious and evident in just one log entry. For him to scuttle his inanimate friend surely had to be a trenedously difficult, and by his own admission, emotional decision. I want to express my deep sadness for him. His level of seamanship is unquestioned, and his choice is further evidence.

The irony? My last two postings were to thank others for contibuting links to sailors blogs. These blogs brightened my day, and made time go by easier. Reading Skip's log gives me pause, and reminds me that sailing, like most things that give me pleasure, has real risks, too.

Josh, thanks for sharing.

cup

Jan 11, 2007
Columbia 28 Sarasota
Ironic yes...

There is a feature article in this months Sail magazine about him. Just read it again last night.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
I am always saddened by the loss of a boat and this

was as sad as loosing a child.
This story is full of compelling reasons for the rest of us to read "Storm Tactics" by Lyn and Larry Pardey.

jimq26

Jun 5, 2004
- - -
Sorry Ross - that wasn't a good comment.

You obviously have never lost a child. There are people out on this forum who have.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday 25 pittsburgh
Ross I agree with http://www.sailboatowners.com/profile/profile.htm?uid=73210232355&fno=60

I am glad that it was a gentle correction.
r.w.landau

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
I lost a wife when our son was 11 months old.

I am not completely without knowledge.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday 25 pittsburgh
Ross, life is not fair. I feel for your loss but know that Nancy

is you life partner now.
I can not talk about it here, but it is not all about what is here.
may you find hope and a future...
r.w.landau

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
R.W. It has been 43 years and I am at peace

with the powers that be.

Status
Not open for further replies.