Skimmar 12' restoration in progress

rob613

Sep 3, 2013
Skimmar 12 New England
Skimmar hull vs interior

Hi Tony,

When you say the mfg changed the interior do you mean Skimmar might have used a different inner hull design, or that someone might have manufactured the boat using just a Skimmar outer hull? My stock Skimmar (somewhat restored based on your inspiring communication with me) is much more like the ones you have been working with but I think we noticed a few minor differences in rigging even before your improvements.

--Robert

Hi (Bob?)
I'm not sure you have the same hull as mine. We'd need to compare measurements. There's a possibility it's the same exterior but the mfg. changed the interior design for some reason.....perhaps to make it rowable.
Email or call me and we'll chat.
Regards,
Tony

Aug 25, 2013
Skimmar 12 Wareham, MA
Rob,
The Skimmar decal on the stern quarter includes "Areo Nautical, Inc. Greenwich, Conn." so it was produced by them. The PO created the 2 letter abbreviations in '63. There's no guarantee Areo didn't keep "Conn." after that year, but it suggests that the boat may be of about that vintage. Thought I hit the jackpot when I found this site:

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Skimmar

but it doesn't list any models that would fit either of our boats. :neutral: Perhaps only non-sailing versions are listed. There's also links that indicate Aero may have started out in Long Island, and that another CT company may have built them in Greenwich, but at a different address. Perhaps Aero bought them out, moved locations - only speculation. I need to shake the internet a little harder to find a new lead. I'd like to know if your double hull model is older or newer.

I want to make some improvements to this model so that she's fun, safe and comfortable to sail. I don't know if I'm up to Tony's standards, but I'm ready to take all the advice I can get from you guys :)

rob613

Sep 3, 2013
Skimmar 12 New England
Rob,
I'd like to know if your double hull model is older or newer.
My boat was purchased new in 1977, has a Coast Guard placard (listing 650lbs total capacity), and was freshly manufactured at that time to the best of my knowledge.

Aug 25, 2013
Skimmar 12 Wareham, MA
Then I'm guessing that my model is older than yours. Offhand, that surprises me since I would have figured a double hull would be more expensive and that would be contrary to the trend toward lighter and cheaper. And thanks for the capacity info. I'm still a few beers short of that. :)

Sep 19, 2013
Skimmar 12 NH Lakes and ocean
New Skimmar Owner

I just bought a Skimmar 12 in pretty good condition. It is missing the mast, boom and sail. I am looking for these parts but would also sell the boat if I find and interested party.
Anyone know where I can get parts? If not can anyone provide specs on the mast boom and sail? This would be very helpful.

ssamac

Jan 5, 2014
Catalina Catalina 22 Fort Madison, IA
You did a really beautiful job. Want to come over and work on my boat?
BTW, there's a solvent that you can use to remove 5200 if you ever need to. Heard that mentioned earlier and it's not that bad to take off if you use the right stuff. Beware use the recommended stuff and not something that will damage fiberglass.

ssamac

Eflash

Jul 26, 2014
Skimmar 12 Cape Vincent NY
Skimmar owner seeks info

Am looking for other Skimmar 12 ' boat owners. I just purchased one (vintage 1976) that is in beautiful shape and probably wasn't sailed much. I'm seeking any info about this boat, including a rigging diagram. I'm a novice sailor and this is a great boat for me on the St. Lawrence River. I'm also interested in other people's experiences with this boat. Tony's restoration is impressive!

Aug 3, 2014
Skimmar Seagull Lake Champlain
Another Skimmar!

Hello,
Just registered to get in touch. I've been working on Skimmar Seagull for a bit too, and would love to get some details as well.
I'm going to set up a site to post some pictures too, and hopefully a discussion forum to allow Seagull owners to get info.
I'd love to see some pictures of the main sheet rigging as designed from the factory, since mine was altered by a previous owner.
Anyone who sees this post can PM me and I'll send you a link to the site when I get it set up.
Thanks!
Nat

Aug 3, 2014
Skimmar Seagull Lake Champlain
Skimmar Seagull info site

Hello again,
just wanted to post a link to the page I made to try and gather some info on the Skimmar Seagull:
http://skimmarseagull.weebly.com

If any of y'all who posted to this thread are still around, stop on over!
Thanks!

Jan 22, 2008
Woodpussy and 12' Skimmar - Northport NY
Hi sailors,
I've been out of touch for a while (health issues) but I hope to be in shape to resume boating activities in the Spring of 2015, My first project will be to put another "Skimmar" in shape for my own use. I sold one of the two I had picked up after the restoration completed in 2008 (see this forum; "Skimmar 12' restoration" posts), Regards,Tony

Jun 11, 2013
S2 9.2c new bedford
Re: Skimmar's hull is painted - Final Coat Today!

Here it is - Hull Painted- final coat today!

Three views of the Skimmar (12' sloop) hull with two coats of Rustoleum Gloss White (first coat sanded with 320 grit wet paper) over two coats of Interlux Pre-Kote, (each sanded with 100 and 150 grit dry paper).

It took about 1/2 Qt. per coat to cover. The final coat was cut about 10% with thinner and I added an ounce of penetrol to make it flow out well. I used the "roll and tip" method with vertical "tipping" so there wouldn't be any runs.

We're making real progress. This puppy will be sailing by Memorial day for sure.

Regards,

Tony
could you send me pics or the rigging setup?
just got one missing parts
Thanks
Dennis Gildea
captainden@gmail.com
mine i believe aout 1975 12' sea gull on sail

May 20, 2016
Skimmar 12' sailboat NH
Hi, I just got my 12' sea gull as well. so happy to find a forum on this, nice to connect. I also need an image of the rigging, can you send me a pic to: jim.lynch100@yahoo.com

Also it seems rustolium is used to coat the boats. is this a poor mans gel coat? is it basically the same stuff?

May 20, 2016
Skimmar 12' sailboat NH
Hi, my bow eye was replaced by an eye bolt (trash). I need to replace this but it looks like I don't have access to the inside of the bow. do I need to cut an access hole in the inside bow area to do this?

May 20, 2016
Skimmar 12' sailboat NH
Hi Tony,
Nice work. I'm new here and it seems Rustoleum Gloss White is what most are using to paint the boat. My hull has some dings and scrapes that I can repair but when done is repainting all it needs? So new new gel coat? Also I'll ask this since it seems you know much about this, do I need to cut an access hole in the front bulkhead to install a new bow eye? jim