SJ24, more than just a racer?

Mar 27, 2012
Seaward Fox Washougal WA
There are a couple of SJ24's for sale in my area. My son really wants to race but the wife and I like gunkholing. Is this boat capable of decent short term cruising (2-5 nights). I have also read reviews suggesting these boats may be a little unstable. This would be my second boat (first was a Hunter 27).

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The SJ24 is a decent boat, if lightly built. It's is quick for its size, and gets its reputation for tippiness from its propensity to roll when going downwind under spinnaker. This trait is very common in IOR boats of the period. Upwind it's fine.

The interior is small for its size dues to its racing designs, and is one big open space. You would be very cozy for a weeks trip. BWY, that is not a 'short cruise', it's probably longer than 90% of longest durations most have been way from the dock!

Mar 27, 2012
Seaward Fox Washougal WA
I'm also looking at a couple Catalina 22's. Maybe that would fit better and racing will be more beer can than serious anyway.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I'm also looking at a couple Catalina 22's. Maybe that would fit better and racing will be more beer can than serious anyway.
The Sj24 will be much bigger than the C22 inside. The boat is 2 1/2 feet longer. And much much faster, a good thing in any kind of sailing. The c22 is one of the slowest boats in existence.

jotruk

Oct 8, 2008
Hunter 27 Lake Whitney
There are a couple of SJ24's for sale in my area. My son really wants to race but the wife and I like gunkholing. Is this boat capable of decent short term cruising (2-5 nights). I have also read reviews suggesting these boats may be a little unstable. This would be my second boat (first was a Hunter 27).
I have a sj 24 for sale here in Texas. I also have a Hunter 27. I chose to keep the hunter because I like it more. the sj is a little tipsey but seems like it would make a good over nighter or for a few days. my sj has a 2 burner stove and a sink but no cooler. The guy I bought the sj from used it to race and him and his wife went for several over nighters and once several days gunkholing.

Oct 6, 2008
Hunter, Island Packet, Catalina, San Juan 26,38,22,23 Kettle Falls, Washington
I currently own a 1982 San Juan 23. I've sailed on the SJ24 and really prefer the SJ23. I owned a C22 for 4 years and sailed it hard and long. We camped up to a week in it with the pop-up canvas. I found it a royal pain to set that up each night. The C22 is a real thrill to sail if you know what you are doing.
My SJ23 has been modified and has an enclosed marine head. It has all the late model improvements and is a much better boat for gunk-holing than the C22 or SJ24.
The SJ23 is quite fast on all points of sail and carries a std or asy spinnaker nicely if you pay attention to what you are doing.
I have also owned a H26 which surpassed all other trailer sailed boats for cabin layout and creature comfort but is a water ballasted boat. Nothing wrong with that if you are not planning to do much racing. For just the wife and I gunk holing and laid back sailing I'd go for a H26 in top condition. More money, but a better answer for quiet weekends.
Ray