Size of sewage pump out fitting for O'day 272 ?

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Our club is now missing the pump-out connector that screws down into the boat's pump out
deck connection and I'm am trying to find one that will fit (screw down) as the old one did...does anyone know the actual size of the required fitting? The deck connection on the boat allows for a screw-on fitting, but no where in my O'day manual is the size of the connection provided.....? Your help is appreciated....I do know Hunter used the same size connection fitting as O'Day so it may be a universal size fitting that fits on the pump out hose by Edson pump...I also know if it doesn't fit right, it doesn't pump right....or takes forever. thanks in Wichita,
Patrick

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Coast Guard regs standardized the size of pumpout fittings years ago: the tailpiece (hose connector) is 1.5", the threaded pumpout connection is 1.25". The only difference in it is the thread count. On older boats ('70s-mid-'80s) It can be 16 TPI (threads per inch), all later ones are 11 TPI. You can replace your connector with the SeaLand Nozall. If the sbo.com store doesn't have it, you can get one from Defender SeaLand Nozall
Be sure to read the description to know which one to buy.
Your club might want to get one that isn't threaded...It requires jamming it into the deck fitting and holding it jammed tight during the entire pumpout, but they cost a lot less than a Nozall, they fit every deck fitting and and don't walk off nearly as often as the Nozalls do. Boat owners who don't want to use that kind can buy their own.

Last edited:

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Thank you Peggie for the valuable information.....I tried to call D & R Marine in Ma....but their telephone is not working..so the person above who says they have gone out of business may be right...D & R might not have stocked them
in any case.....I do have the Edson catalog in front of me and it looks like the fitting is also available from Edson....assuming I can get the correct size....too bad someone found it necessary to take ours..(i.e. Ninnescah YC's fitting
although it may have been that they went to the pump out station, used it, then headed out to sail with it still in their
deck fitting.....(I'm heavy on giving them the benefit of the doubt)... It is also possible that Edson will know what was provided to O'day when this series of boats were being built as they are pretty much a one size fits all...i.e.272, 302, 322, and larger..........Thanks Peggie for your great advice and council as all.
Patrick in Wichita

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Hey Paddy,
I plan on heading out there tonight to get Bella ready for the crane. I can check to see if mine works. It may have a part number if you want to order one like it.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Who is D & R Marine??? You're waaaay over-thinking this! Click on the link I gave you to see the Nozall fitting listing on the Defender Marine site...it includes a complete descripton. Or, you can just google "SeaLand Nozall" to see all the other retailers who have it. The hose on ANY pumpout can connect to it because they all use a type of connectors called a cam lock.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
Who is D & R Marine???
Peggy, I love all the help and valuable information I've gotten from you over the years, but I'm surprised you don't know D & R Marine! Rudy at D&R was the parts manager or something like that at O'Day. When they went out of business, he became THE O'Day parts supplier and information source for many, many O'Day owners. He has a wonderful stock of O'Day parts, and lots of advice on buying and maintaining O'Day sailboats. Any O'Day owner feels the same about Rudy. Now you've learned something! :)

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Yup...and I thank you for it. When Trojan Yachts (mfr of my last boat) folded, some of their employees also formed an aftermarket parts company. I was their best customer for bilge blower cowl covers on the sides of my hull...'cuz every time a friend rafted with me she managed to bring her boat alongside mine at just the right angel to crack it.

However, pumpout fittings aren't OEM specific for any make/model/year, power or sail. The deck fittings are generic (Perko makes replacement caps for 'em, available from almost every marine retailer) and so are the fittings that connect pumpouts to 'em. If that weren't true- every pumpout facility would have to have a fitting for every make/model/year of every boat on the water.
--Peggie

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Hi Justin, Heather remembered you had one of the ones like Peggie is describing above...i.e. the non-threaded fittings...we went to the boat to check the pump and also ordered a new pump this afternoon...there was not water below today and we got the pump model and ordered this afternoon....not too expensive thankfully. Couple hundred dollars....could be worse.
should be here by next Wednesday p.m.....when are you pulling? Pat

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
I know they are available through Edson.....as Edson is the manufacturer of Ninnescah's pump out system.....I know that because I am the one who ordered the guest dock and pump out system many moons ago...1990 or so.

Last edited:

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Peggy, thank you for your always very thoughtful advice.....Yesterday after a 3 hour rousing sail in 25-30 knot winds as I was packing up, I walked over to our pump out dock that the club provides, and there it was.....the lost fitting has found it's home again.....took it back to our boat and made sure the threads were the same and it screwed right in the deck fitting...so my next trip out I shall pull into the dock and do my deeds....thanks to everyone as well.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
If I were you, I'd buy one to use when it goes walkabout again and/or any time you might want to pump out at a marina that doesn't have one that'll fit. The Nozall with 1.25" threaded opening, 11 TPI will match your deck fitting and any pumpout hose.

--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
I'm going to order from Edson on Monday.....Patrick; thank you for your advice, Coulter

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
I just checked, Rudy's phone still rings. I'd be lost if he ever goes out of business! Makes me very nervous that he isn't training a replacement (other than his Wife? who by now knows almost as much as him?) Mickstr, Rudy was the Parts Dept Manager at O'DAY from 1973-89 when they closed the doors (well, actually, when the BANK closed the doors.)

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Rudy is fine and still in business.....he called me Monday.......said all is well...Pat

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
I think someone at the club had put their boat to bed for the winter and still had the pump-out fitting that screws into the deck...a few weeks ago I walked over to the crane and lo and behold, it was returned by whomever had it...so we are okay again...got it pumped out two weeks ago....Pat