Size Boat Name Decal - Beneteau Oceanis 36CC

Jul 14, 2020
Beneteau Oceanis 36CC Preveza
I'm in the process of buying a 36CC in a different country, which I have not seen yet. I will travel there in a few weeks and would like to take the new-boat-name-decal with me. I would like to put the name as per the picture below.

Can someone suggest the available size/area so I can get it printed to so it fits?

BoatName.png

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Can't help with a size that fits. I think regs may dictate the minimum size though. You also need to allow for the home port name on a documented vessel.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
home port name MUST be a minimum of 4" if it to be documented.

Renaming a boat is a major project. I would recommend waiting until you have it home and can remove all vestiges of the old name, select the new name (if not already done), arrange for the proper denaming and renaming ceremony which usually entails significant amounts of alcohol and a proper party to boot. By treating this properly you can be assured the new boat will be welcome in its new home and that you have covered all your bases. Plus you can measure and decide if the name goes on the stern or maybe on the stern quarter side depending upon size and style.

I've done this for all my boats and I've successfully avoided any major issues with Poseidon (knock on wood!!) plus, my slip neighbors always like a good party which ll my naming ceremonies turn into.

Have fun

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
"Coast Guard regulations require that a documented boat have the boat name and the hailing port at least 4” high. The words “Port of” are not required and have no size restrictions, but the two-lettering designation for the state are now required."

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Also watch where your swim ladder hits. I tried adding letters that followed the scoop. They ended up right where the ladder rested when it is down, and it tore a letter. Went back to a straight line :redface:

Jul 14, 2020
Beneteau Oceanis 36CC Preveza
Thanks all: I'm based in the United Kingdom and we don't seem to have a minimum height for boat names. We do have one for SSR (Small Ships Register) but that's not an issue yet. I appreciate that waiting until it gets home would be great except.... it will not come home to the UK and stay in Greece so I only have limited amounts of time there. So bringing the decal with me would be much simpler. Obviously I will try to stick to Poseidon's rules and regulations and avoid at all costs to upset him. If that involves a lot of alcohol: I may be able to make that work :)

@Justin_NSA: Appreciate the thoughts - do you have any idea of size given that you seem to have the same yacht?

Jan 8, 2017
BENETEAU OCEANIS 36CC CRUISING
I'm in the process of buying a 36CC in a different country, which I have not seen yet. I will travel there in a few weeks and would like to take the new-boat-name-decal with me. I would like to put the name as per the picture below.

Can someone suggest the available size/area so I can get it printed to so it fits?

View attachment 182361
C5454279-3D3D-4EF2-A8A8-C69AEBFCD5B5.jpeg
C5454279-3D3D-4EF2-A8A8-C69AEBFCD5B5.jpeg

Apr 8, 2019
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Locust Point, NY
I put my boat name on the freeboard under the rub rail. I don't have a picture handy. More room to be creative.