Siracco 15 gooseneck repair

May 22, 2020
Catalina 22 Iowa
I just bought a Siracco 15:
Should I Buy 1975 Sirocco S-15?

It's a great little boat. I had fun sailing it however, the goodneck broke. The boom apparently will roll so the sail can be rolled around it. I definitely need to research that. The design dictates a single bolt exiting the end of the boom. That bolt broke (see pictures). I haven't torn apart the boom yet to see how it works.

IMG_20200613_130522.jpg

IMG_20200613_125533.jpg

The hook attaches to a metal loop that attaches to the track on the mast.

Anyone have any information or advise for this repair?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Pull the duck tape off. There are probably some screws or rivets hiding behind the tape, or maybe not.

Pull the end off. The eye bolt is probably double nutted behind the end cap.

Find a compatible eye bolt, put it back together.

Welcome to the joys of owning an older boat, stuff happens. ;)

Go sailing.

May 22, 2020
Catalina 22 Iowa
I spoke to the former owner. He affected this repair last year and it was done two years before that. This means that either it isn't being repaired properly or it's just a bad design.

My plan right now is basically to replicate the same repair so I'll be doing this again in a year or so.

Here is a photo he had. This is not the correct arrangement, however. He must have fixed it after taking the picture.

2019-06-30.jpg

If any one has better ideas, I'm open to them.

May 22, 2020
Catalina 22 Iowa
Here is the exploded view:
IMG_20200615_151210.jpg

The new bolt being installed has the eye. The old broken bolt still has hardware on it.
I replicated the setup. So, it will break again...
IMG_20200615_154659.jpg

I might reconstruct with a larger bolt and just forgo the furling ability of the boom.

Nov 23, 2018
Vandestadt & McGruer Ltd. Siren 17 Choctawhatchee Bay
Your setup reminds me of my previous boat, an O'Day DaySailer II. It had a rolling boom as well. I can't tell from the photos how the gooseneck attaches to the mast, but I wonder if this part would be a more reliable replacement:

If you think it might work, give Rudy a call at DR Marine and he will answer any questions for you. I'm certain he would even provide the measurements to ensure it would fit your boom and mast.

May 22, 2020
Catalina 22 Iowa
Your setup reminds me of my previous boat, an O'Day DaySailer II. It had a rolling boom as well. I can't tell from the photos how the gooseneck attaches to the mast, but I wonder if this part would be a more reliable replacement:

If you think it might work, give Rudy a call at DR Marine and he will answer any questions for you. I'm certain he would even provide the measurements to ensure it would fit your boom and mast.
Wow, thanks for the info.

Jul 23, 2019
Hunter 18.5 Revelstoke
If it was mine and OEM parts were not available I’d be looking for a higher quality eye bolt, I’d also see if I couldn’t find a way (drilling or tapping) to accommodate a larger eye bolt as well.

May 22, 2020
Catalina 22 Iowa
If it was mine and OEM parts were not available I’d be looking for a higher quality eye bolt, I’d also see if I couldn’t find a way (drilling or tapping) to accommodate a larger eye bolt as well.
That is probably what I will end up doing.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
As for another idea ... one doesn't have to have a boom that can rotate to wrap the sail around. With a 6-ft beam (5.9-ft), frankly, you're probably never need to reef the main that way. The drawing in a previous link showed "mid-sheet" sheeting of the boom so to wrap the sail around the boom the sheeting will have to be dealt with and changed to end-of-boom sheeting. A potential bit of a pain. A slab reefing system might be easier, faster, and have better sail shape.

So, Plan B: IF you happen to come across a fix-it for a non-rotating gooseneck, go ahead and use it until you find the rotating one.

The picture by the previous owner of the gooseneck setup shows the "ear" (for lack of a better term) on the boom gooseneck facing down. It is possible that it should be for the mainsail tack. But maybe also for the downhaul of the gooseneck but I don't remember seeing a cleat to tie a downhaul off to.

May 22, 2020
Catalina 22 Iowa
The jury rigged repair keeps breaking so I looked for the actual part. At $270, I'll see if I can just improve upon the current fix. I wanted to put this out there in case anyone else needs it.

Actual part:

PRS 89-44AWB

$269.00

Wide Slide & Gooseneck Ass'y for Proctor Standard Boom: PRS 89-44AWB:
Gooseneck Slide Assembly to fit Proctor Dingy Masts where integral Track has been spread to 5/8" wide, and Booms with standard 1/2" Square hole in boom end. Investment Cast SS Assembly features Ball & Socket Toggle arrangement and large Thumbscrew to allow for quick Boom height adjustment. Slide is (maximum) 2 7/8" long x 7/8" (.850") wide. Waist is 9/16" wide x 1/4" (.240") high. asg

Mar 9, 2009
Macgregor 26S New Port Richey, Fl
Have a similar goose neck but the fitting, goose neck, with the spring was out of it. Thanks for the infomation. I will now put it back together properly, taking the end cap off the boom so that I can get the spring behind it.