Sink "island" removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Primus

Can anyone share their advice and experience with the removal of the sink island in the cabin. We have a 1980 Catalina 30 and now need to remove this island to enable our engine removal and replacement.

R

Roger

Check Tech-Talk

Haven't done it yet, but am planning it, based on an article in the tech-talk collection. It doesn't sound too bad, as described there. If you don't have this resource, you should. Go to http://www.catalina30.com/Publications/ttcoll.htm to find out more. It's the single best thing I've gotten for my boat. Roger Noble C-30 # 3725, "Amazing Grace" Lake Travis, Austin, Texas rogern@austin.rr.com

J

Jody Hampton

sink island removal

While I was in Petaluma a few years back the oil pan on my 5411 rusted out. I pulled out two lags separating the sink island from the port side storage area and just lifted off the island after disconnecting the water hoses. It was no sweat and I didn't require any help. I then disconnected the prop shaft and exaust pipe and using a come-along suspended from the traveler was able to winch the engine off the bed. Repairs were a snap and everthing went back together without a hitch. Great design that Catalina. Just wish Pacific Seacraft had built it but then I probably wouldn't have been able to afford it.

R

Richard

piece of cake

Remove the hoses to the sink drains and freshwater for the sinks. Next there are a few screws on the outside of the island (back side near the ladder about 3 or so). Under the sink there are a few more screws spaced around that screw into the fiberglass. Lastly there is the two I spend some time trying to find the first time! There are two or 3 screws in the very end of the counter top (inside the sliding storage above the galley). If you get all the screws then it will be easy to wiggle the the whole thing out. If you have not cut the second pannel (the two engine covers on the top) to slip in and out around the hoses this might be a good time to do that. Sometimes it is nice to be able to remove both board and not have to detach the whole sink and counter. Richard

B

Brian

Yep, piece of cake.

Had to rebuild the muffler last spring, and needed to get access to the top. We pulled the obvious screws (end closest to chart table), found two that are a bit tough to see (along the galley side of the wall about a foot down) Worst part was the counter surface, which extends underneath the kitchen "cabinet" trim. We had to carefully work the sink cabinet slowly to the right, and work it out from under the trim. Same problem going back in. All in all though, it was easy...

P

Pat Shera

Putting counter back on

Removal is easy. Replacement was more difficult because of the tight fit between the bottom of the frame for the sliding door and the countertop. Made easy by placing a putty knife under the frame to guide the counter under, then pull out knife as push counter in.

Status
Not open for further replies.