singlehanding

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vicki

I am interested in a small trailerable sailboat. I have narrowed down the field to two or three models. The Catalina 22 is one of these. I am wanting to know how easily I could trailer, launch and sail the Catalina by myself. I am a 40 something female of average shape and novice sailing experience. What do you think? Also is there much problem with the pop-top leaking? thanks Vicki

B

Bob Finley

Single handed?

I don't think you will be very successful single handed launching the 22. It sits so high on the trailer that it virtually takes one person in the boat and one holding the bow until the boat person can get the little motor started and in the water. Other wise you will be drifting out of control as it comes off the trailer. Likewise when recovering to the trailer, you need someone on board to run it onto the trailer and the person on the ground to secure it to the trailer at the painter. As far as stepping the mast, I have constructed a mast-up system that makes it fairly easy. It still is nice to have the second person to secure the fore stay while I hold the mast upright. I am over 200# and lifting the mast is a pull but with practice it gets better. I am coming out of a Precision 16 that I handle alone regularly and the 22 is not much more difficult to handle. It does take a little longer because of the 2 additional shrouds that have to be attached. I notice that with the 22, I am a bit winded after setting everything up, but maybe 63 years of age has something to do with that. If anyone is interested, I can post some photos of the mast up system that I built. Bob

M

Michael McCann

Single handed

Vicki; I think that some launch ramps would be more friendly to launching than others, so choose the launch location with thought. I am not a powerful person, and I raised the mast on a Laguna 24 solo, (about on par with a C22). You will need some helpers, a board at the stern with a roller to attach the mast to the step, and to get it higher to start the lift. I used the jib halyard attached to the bow with a cleat on the mast. A nice pad for your shoulder to hold the weight of the mast. Then it is just a matter of lift a little, take out slack on the jib halyard, lift alittle etc. etc! There are other methods requireing more hardware, but it can be done. Good luck Michael

P

Pete

single handing C22

The C22 is a very nice boat to single hand. It is a big help to lead the halyards back to the cockpit and to have a jib downhaul. Check out: http://sites.netscape.net/tedsailingpage/Single_Handed.html and http://home.att.net/~reidcollins/Learning_Center/lc9708.htm for more details on single hand rigging for the C22. I can't say much about trailering the C22, since I keep mine in a slip. I will say that it is very dependent on the ramps you intend to use. Personally I very much prefer to keep mine in a slip, but there are advantages each way. Quite a few of the local c22 sailors dry sail. The marina keeps the boat on a stand and put it in for you. You call ahead and it is in the water when you get there. One put in and haul out per day is included in the annual fee. It costs about the same as a slip. Of course if you want to go to different areas to launch, trailering is required. I bet that with careful selection of the ramps you use, some planning, and maybe some additional hardware (mast support etc.) you could make this work out. I would plan on having some help until you have the process thoroughly worked out. I guess what options you have depend to a large extent on your location. I will say that it is wonderful to have the boat in a slip. You just drive there and take off almost immediately. You will sail way more often if it doesn't require a lot of messing around with trailering and launching. Which ever way you decide I hope it works out well for you. Pete

S

Steve W.

We've done it both ways...get a slip...you will

use the boat much more, plus it is a nice place to hang out. Raising the mast and rigging the boat each time you go out will get old fast. Having the boat in a slip means not being dependent on rounding up a friend or two everytime you want to go sailing. You are much more likely to go out for an hour or two on the spur of the moment than if you have to deal with launching. Good luck

B

bob

solo

One thing that makes raising mast easier is using the trailor winch. We put it up and down with 2 but could be done with one. Boat handles nice single handed. Have not had any problem with poptop leaking, we only put it up at the dock or when on the hook.

Status
Not open for further replies.