Singlehanded MOB Procedure--Outside Box Idea

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Ideally, you stay on the boat. Agreed, let's not flog that topic. I've written much about tethers, jacklines, and hardpoints.
Done.

The sea anchor to stop the boat is an excellent idea and should be deployable under most, if not all, circumstances. What is nice about the sled self-rescue system is that if you miss or fall off the sled, the drogue will still stop the boat in exactly the same way.

The only requirement is that you are conscious and able when you hit the water. Otherwise, unless the boat can stop, turn and scoop you up and perform CPR on you all on her own, as a solo sailor, you're S.O.L.
The only good thing about that situation is you're likely to never know you were in it. :hook2:

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
So if you exit the boat near the rear and are tied in so this thing works it looks like you have a chance of getting back on board. How does it work when you go forward. I'd think that your chances of going overboard are much higher when forward.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
So if you exit the boat near the rear and are tied in so this thing works it looks like you have a chance of getting back on board. How does it work when you go forward. I'd think that your chances of going overboard are much higher when forward.
Agreed.

If you are tied into this getting back on board should be very easy (assuming there is a ladder, but that is basic).

If forward, you have to catch the trailing line and give it a 5-pound tug. The differences between this and other systems is that you do NOT have to hold on and that it works no matter the set of the sails. The boat just stops.

But it does have to be triggered. You can be tied on (but why not just tether?). You can tug the trail line. A wireless release, based on a wireless deadman switch ($179) would be simple to rig. Unskilled crew could trigger it. All of these could be rigged at the same time. The trailing line is not going to be visible at night or in high winds.

I would not like to test this in heavy weather. You could stop the boat, but it will be ugly and bad things could happen. You don't deploy a sea anchor from the stern. On the other hand, if the boat is sailing away....

Yes, we're outside-the-box.