Single Use navigation Charts?

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
Is anyone aware of any charts available for single use plotting? I'd love to have like a tablet of tear-off charts (maybe 11x14 or so) of say Long Island Sound (NY), that I could plot my position on for each trip. Then tear it off and save it in a log book. Can't find anything on the internet yet...

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I've been using a free sail logging app on my phone that does it automatically, speed, course and distance on every leg.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Many, if not all, charts are available on the NOAA website in pdf format for free. Download them and print them.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hey,
Why not just write lightly in pencil. Record to log book and erase from the chart at the end of your trip.

Barry

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You can still buy paper charts from most chandleries and nautical book stores.
But.. I would follow dlochner's advice and go to the NOAA site.. they have normal size charts and book style for download.. and ... they're free!!!!

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Used these back in my drafting days when we still used "pencil" and paper......

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I think a key component of the OP has been missed. The poster wants the chart itself, with the annotations he has made, to become a part of his ship's log. I'm sure he has heard of erasers, but it's the original record he wants to retain. This is not an unfamiliar concept to folks in the scientific and/or regulatory compliance fields.

I can see the benefits of such a system. It's somewhat inefficient to handle an item (data, boat parts, moving boxes) twice. Additionally, the re-recording of numerical data (from a chart to a log) increases the possibility of making an error.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I agree with the others regarding NOAA Chart Booklets. I know they are available for my area (San Diego Region). They might be available for your area. They aren't 11x14, but more like 11x8.5. Still, you can print out the chart booklet for the day and then keep only the pages with your annotations. This would be cheaper than going to a marine store and buying charts.

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/BookletChart/14791_BookletChart.pdf