Single handing the boat without roller furling

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Lake George
Hi it is me again,

I was talking to my dealer, who owns and races a Capri 22. He is trying to talk me out of getting the roller furling because he feels that the boat sails much better without it. He claims that raising and dousing the genoa by yourself is not difficult at all. Folding and putting away the sail by yourself is also easy, according to him.

Do any of you sail by yourselves without roller furling?

Would the performance gain be worth the extra effort?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I managed to single hand my O'day 25 for the first time with hank on sails. I can see the advantage, but I like the simple and easier setup I have. I need to add the downhaul before the next time but that should be pretty easy.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Yes. I agree. The boat definitely sails better with the hank on jib and it is not difficult to drop the sail. I sailed my Hunter 25.5 with a hank on jib by myself all the time. Point the boat into the wind and pull the main in tight and drop the jib on the deck. You will need to go forward to pull it all the way down so you can roll it up in a quick bundle and throw a bungie across it if it is windy. Keeping the main locked in the center keeps the boat from wandering off course too much. It will zig zag, tacking one way then another. No big deal. It also helps to run webbing around the bow pulpit so the sail can be bundled up front without falling off the front of the boat when it is down on the deck. AND, you can by a groovy sail bag that fits around the head sail while its rolled up on deck that will fit over it without having to take it off the headstay.

Jul 31, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 39 Seneca, SC
I sail single handed often, my boat has hank on 110, 135, 155 sails. I love the simple elegance of the hank-on sails, and how the sails are weighted and cut properly for their size. But they are anything but convenient. For that you can't beat roller furling. Folding my headsails takes much longer than I think it should, and I have only a short walk to a lawn for the folding. Nice to hear others have done it effectively on the boat, that does not work for me. My 155 is kind of worn so I use that as an excuse to give it a coarse roll and stuff it in the cabin.

Where I sail wind conditions vary - often I will have changed sails at least once. Changing the sail underway is not difficult, a downhaul is easy to rig and helps in heavy wind.

When racing a hank-on can be an advantage, especially upwind. But if wind conditions change much during a race, the furler allows the headsail area to be adjusted, so it can be an advantage. Normally when racing you will not be single-handed so convenience is less a factor.

I plan to add a furler to my boat at some point, probably in a couple of years when I'll be ready for a new headsail. I'm really looking forward to have the headsail stowed without leaving the cockpit.

Steve

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
I called the sail maker directly and he strongly recommended that I stay with a furler if I will be singlehanding most of the time.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I called the sail maker directly and he strongly recommended that I stay with a furler if I will be single handing most of the time.
It is confusing isn't it. That is because you are asking a question that is opinion. Everyone has one and seldom will they be the same. On a small boat (like the Capri 22) I like hank on sails. The racing plan will mean optimum sail trim. Growing up in small boats and hank on sails I was accustomed to the sail changes and solo sailing. If you are seeking less then optium sail trim and are seeking more convenience you might like the furler better. Bear in mind with the furler you will still want to protect your sails (especially ones that you might use for racing) by removing the sail from the furler when the boat will be sitting for a week or two. So no savings in regard to not having to fold the sail in port.

Then of course there is the time when you are just feeling lazy and you wind the sail up on the furler and head home for dinner. The furler comes in handy. The sail will be wrapped up neat, not laying on the deck or stuffed in the boat at the bottom companionway damp.

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
I singlehand a lot and have a hank on jib. I have never owned a boat with a furling jib but have sailed on many boats with it.

I like that I can switch between a working jib a 125% a 150% or a storm jib and keep optimum sail shape with each sail. All my control lines lead to the cockpit and I have a downhaul which allows me to not have to go forward to dowse the jib, the downhaul also will hold the sail on the deck with sheets pulled tight so it doesn't flap around too much when it's really windy.

I can swap jibs in less than 6 minutes (I've timed it) here's my process: First off when I roll up a jib and bag it I make sure the hanks and tack are at the top of the bag.I also have the jibs I'm not currently using in the v berth under the forward hatch and I put the boat close to wind. I set my tiller and drop the jib pulling on the windward sheet to center the jib. When it's down I tighten the jib sheets, then I go through the cabin and grab the bag for the current jib and the new jib as I go up through the hatch. When I get on deck I untie the bowlines from the jib and roll it forward, I unhook the halyard and downhaul, take the hanks off the forestay, put the jib in its bag and grab the new jib from its bag. Attach the tack, hanks, halyard, and downhaul then I roll out the sail and tie the sheets on. I go back through the cabin bringing the bag and old jib with me. Back in the cockpit I hoist the jib and trim it.

With a furler, you don't have to do any of that-just roll it in or out- but you don't get the optimum sail shape you get with hank on jibs. I'm not going to convert my current boat to a furler, but when I'm searching for my next (bigger) boat it will definitely be a plus if not a must have.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
59 years and never needed a roller furling system. it is slower while sailing. it is quicker when dousing the sail. whats more important. sailing or dousing? me, i'm a sailor. if it is going to be blowing hard, add a downhaul to the head of the sail. easy peezey. it's how i was trained, it' what i know. sheet in the main hard. leave the helm neutral. dump the jib, the boat weather vanes endlessly into the wind while you secure the jib. it's easy and quick.
the roller reefer is quicker, BUT the system adds windage that = drag, that equates to slightly less performance under sail. it's all choices. me, i always choose performance on my vessels.

davits, lazy jacks, bimini, dodger, windless, roller reefer, radar......... all add a little drag. each just a little. together, well it all adds up. just saying, i'm old school , i'm old, set in my ways. life is choices. do what makes you happy, not what makes me happy. that said, it's easy to do what i do.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I've sailed with both and don't understand why the roller furling jib is considered less efficient for shape? It seems to me, most coastal cruising is done with the chosen jib fully unfurled and a roller furled jib can be cut to the same optimum shape as a hank on. If you have to roll it part way in, then yes, of course the shape is no longer optimal. For a cruiser, that's not what's important under the conditions one might sail with a reefed jib. Changing out headsails is another disadvantage for roller furling. For serious long range cruising and ocean crossing, it's good to keep a range of sails and maybe a second forestay is as good an option as any. The roller furler is very convenient. I'm a fan, but I understand the player's choice.
For racing, that's a whole different heads'l space.;) However, since you're specifically asking about opinions and experience for a Cat22, if you're interested in single hand cruising and still be competitive racing, own both rigs and swap the roller furler out for the hank on forestay when you want to race. It shouldn't be any inconvenience to change forestays on a Cat22.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 16, 2017
Less efficient comes from the headstay being to stiff. Roller furlers tend to stay straight and not sag in light air. Thus the sail is very flat. Sailmakers design the sails to have a certain amount of sag in the headstay, generally, sag would be around 4-6''.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Losing the sag is a big issue for me because I will be sailing in lighter winds most of the time. The extra sail area gained will also be a plus.

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
The size of the sail that has to be handled is a factor. For me anything over about 200 sq ft becomes a handful to handle. A 22 ft boat usually has sails under this size and I would not compromise performance, possible mech. problems, or cost of going w/ a roller furler.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I've been happy with which ever the boat comes with. Both have advantages. I doubt I would ever spend the money to switch on a new-to-me boat. Roller furling is nice, but won't make much difference on a 22.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
I will talk to my sail maker about a bag to put over the sail while it is down but still hanked onto the headstay.

Has anyone bought one of these before?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Most sails come with a bag. You can lash the bag to the foredeck or bow pulpit with line. Leave the bag top untied. You can stuff the sail into the bag with 3 sail ends at the top. The sail luff hanked on to the forestay. The sail head attached to the halyard. The tack attached to the deck and the clew attached to the sheets. When ready to fly the sail you haul it out of the bag and away you go. When you take the sail down you stuff the sail bulk into the bag.

Sail bag sits ready for action.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Doesn't that crumple the sail? I was hoping for a bag that would go over the sail with the sheet pulled taut and the sail roughly flaked based on the hanks being down. This would keep the sail smooth and no creases. Right? Am I asking for too much? ODJ22sailor, do you have an opinion on this?