Single Handing Catalina 25

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Thanks to everyone for your helpful remarks! I've sailed Sonars and larger sloops single-handedly, and docked many timed under sail (I find it entertaining when everyone looks at you like you're a magician, haha), but never had to go forward to raise/lower the main. I'll be sure to keep everyone's tips in mind! Thanks again!

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
Recommend you look into an autopilot - doesn't have to be fancy (or new). I used an older TillerMaster on my 30' Tartan for years. No 'auto-tack' feature, no 'dodge' feature - it just steers the boat to a compass course. Try eBay..
Perhaps other will suggest different brands/models.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
LOL at 73 I brought my 25, footer ,from Mobjack Bay, around to Port Lavaca, including a partial gulf crossing, single hand. At 75, I did a trip, here to Pensacola and return, single hand. On thing I decided for sure-, A jib down haul is on the to-do list. All materials purchased.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
:plus: @Charlie Jones s/v Tehani on solo sailing at the helm. I did that for a couple of seasons after I bought my boat. Sitting in the cockpit you get pretty good and steering with you foot on the wheel. Then I bought the AP and after the install in made solo sailing for more than 5 hours a more pleasant experience. I can step down in the cabin and take a moment with out the fear that the boat is going to go off on a wrong direction. You point and it goes.

It is now an essential tool while single handed sailing, on board. Can I go with out it ... yes. Do I want to? No. Not on a 35 foot boat.

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
LOL at 73 I brought my 25, footer ,from Mobjack Bay, around to Port Lavaca, including a partial gulf crossing, single hand. At 75, I did a trip, here to Pensacola and return, single hand. On thing I decided for sure-, A jib down haul is on the to-do list. All materials purchased.
A jib downhaul takes a lot of stress out of single handing with a hank on jib and it is cheap!

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
I think he has a furling jib - doesn't need the downhaul. With hanks, the downhaul is essential - get that bad boy out of the breeze, either on deck or in the water, doesn't matter - it's down.

Mar 1, 2012
:plus: @Charlie Jones s/v Tehani on solo sailing at the helm. I did that for a couple of seasons after I bought my boat. Sitting in the cockpit you get pretty good and steering with you foot on the wheel. Then I bought the AP and after the install in made solo sailing for more than 5 hours a more pleasant experience. I can step down in the cabin and take a moment with out the fear that the boat is going to go off on a wrong direction. You point and it goes.

It is now an essential tool while single handed sailing, on board. Can I go with out it ... yes. Do I want to? No. Not on a 35 foot boat.
OH Yes-I would never have tried the gulf crossing without one- 32 hours offshore, sleeping in 20 minute stretches. I have a tiller pilot on both my boats. Long distance it's the only way to go,

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Your ladder should be able to be deployed from the water. An easy way is to fasten a snap shackle to the bottom rung of the ladder. Fasten the snap shackle to a bungee or loop fastened to the pushpit. Attach some line to the shackle release.
Pulling on the line while in the water releases the ladder and pulls it down in on motion.

Les
I'm trying to fully envision this. Do you have a sketch?

dj

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I used to sail my C25 solo all the time and even flew the spinnaker and did not have an autopilot. A good tiller tamer is vital. I used a length of 3-strand nylon attached to one stern cleat with 3 wraps around the tiller and then pulled tight and cleated tot he other side. It worked like a break and would hold the tiller but allow me to make big corrections if needed. For fine tuning, I would hold the wraps and turn them on the tiller which allowed very tiny adjustments. when on the bow, I would check astern for curvature of my wake and could make small adjustments by shifting from side to side on the boat.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2018
Catalina 25 Lake Monroe
I have a Catalina 25 and single hand all the time. I actually picked this size boat because I wanted the largest boat I could reasonably single-hand as a newbie without a tremendous amount of exhausting effort. I didn't want to be limited to going out only when someone else was available.

Mine has a tiller extension and the ball on the end of the extension fits into a slot in the side of the cockpit so I can lock the tiller "straight". Depending on current and wind, I can telescope the extension just slightly to get pointed in the direction I want it to go. I only need to use that if I really need to go up front for something quick. In my limited experience, when locking the tiller and going forward the important thing is to keep an eye on the water for wind gusts because you may need to rush back and let out the mainsail or point into the wind to stay upright. :)

My main halyard is run to the cockpit and my headsail has roller furling so both are easily managed from the cockpit. I usually just sort of put the tiller between my legs and quickly raise the mainsail.

Nov 18, 2019
Catalina 25 Deltaville, va
Reminds me of Slocum's account of his first time docking the Spray. :biggrin:

"The bay was feather-white as my little vessel tore in, smothered in foam. It was my first experience of coming into port alone, with a craft of any size, and in among shipping. Old fishermen ran down to the wharf for which the Spray was heading, apparently intent upon braining herself there. I hardly know how a calamity was averted, but with my heart in my mouth, almost, I let go the wheel, stepped quickly forward, and downed the jib. The sloop naturally rounded in the wind, and just ranging ahead, laid her cheek against a mooring-pile at the windward corner of the wharf, so quietly, after all, that she would not have broken an egg. Very leisurely I passed a rope around the post, and she was moored. Then a cheer went up from the little crowd on the wharf. "You couldn't 'a' done it better," cried an old skipper, "if you weighed a ton!" Now, my weight was rather less than the fifteenth part of a ton, but I said nothing, only putting on a look of careless indifference to say for me, "Oh, that 's nothing"; for some of the ablest sailors in the world were looking at me, and my wish was not to appear green, for I had a mind to stay in Gloucester several days. Had I uttered a word it surely would have betrayed me, for I was still quite nervous and short of breath."
Isn't it like that for everyone!?! The truth is that EVERY Captn in the gallery knows what will happen before it does. It's just mitigating and mitigating until all is secure.
I like a big loop with one end cleated off. I throw it around the piling amidships as shes running by slowly then tighten by pulling the line which slows her down. Then I toss the line over the next piling, pull her in and cleat her. Bow line is next then stern line. I then remove the longer line for next time or us it stern to bow end cleat on the dock.

Mar 1, 2012
Oooooh, THAT is a good idea. I do have a topping lift, but it's hung off the split backstay; therefore, it isn't mechanical and doesn't move anywhere (that's something I'm thinking about upgrading).
That is NOT a topping lift- that's a dangerous cheapie way to hold up a boom. When I was working with the sailboat shop, we cut those off any used boat, and rigged a proper topping lift. They are dangerous when single handing. Here's a reason. Sailing a san Juan 21, forgot to unclip the wire. Wind gusted, caught me abeam and before i could do anything,water was coming over the coaming. COULD NOT uncliip the stupid thing and let the main sheet run.

If you insist on using one anyway, make it of some kind of clip that will break under pressure

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Thanks to everyone for your helpful remarks! I've sailed Sonars and larger sloops single-handedly, and docked many timed under sail (I find it entertaining when everyone looks at you like you're a magician, haha), but never had to go forward to raise/lower the main. I'll be sure to keep everyone's tips in mind! Thanks again!
Secure the main to the boom with bungies, sail ties or short pieces of line. When you're ready, you undo them. If I'm in high winds I'll often pull on the halyard, remove one, pull some more, remove the next, etc. Keeps things from flapping around to a degree. I prefer to have a little bit of wind on the sails instead of being totally in irons. It keeps the boom and sail from flapping around. If there's enough free space around the boat I can pull the main up in most conditions regardless of the wind direction. You of course dont want your boat to start healing as soon as you pull it up. Don't forget to keep your outboard running in neutral while raising the main.

In rougher seas I try not to walk or stand upright. If it's bad enough I'll sit indian style with my legs wrapped around the boom while pulling the main and then carefully crawl back to the cockpit. Things are much easier in a 25' than my old 19'.

If available I suggest the having following attached to you while working outside the cockpit: lifejacket, flashlight and/or sound device, radio or cell phone (in a watertight bag if needed) and a serrated knife in case you get tangled in a line. Non serrated knives don't work well when cutting rope

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
Solo my Capri 22 with no need for an AP. The boat does not tend to head up so just motor into the wind, tiller tamer holds the tiller centered and raise or lower the main. Raising I just let the main sheet loose and pull her up. If the boat drifts a little no problem. Taking the man down is easier, just let go the halyard and down she comes. Just stand at the end of the boom with the tiller between my legs and start flaking the sail over the boom securing with two ties leaving the last tie and neatening for the dock. My slip does see side winds, mostly pushing me into the dock where I just glide into the slip using the motor to slow me down. If being blown away from the dock I just move quicker to get a bow and stern line secured. I use a long bow line that i flip over a forward dock cleat to keep the bow close to the dock while i secure the stern line. I never jump onto the dock as my 73 year old body would likely object by not making the dock. Just back out and try again. A bit of speed helps to get the boat tight to the dock so I can step off with lines in hand. I do not sail in big wind. If more than 15 mph, I watch others struggle while I enjoy an adult beverage. Almost more fun than sailing (almost!).

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
That is NOT a topping lift- that's a dangerous cheapie way to hold up a boom. When I was working with the sailboat shop, we cut those off any used boat, and rigged a proper topping lift. They are dangerous when single handing. Here's a reason. Sailing a san Juan 21, forgot to unclip the wire. Wind gusted, caught me abeam and before i could do anything,water was coming over the coaming. COULD NOT uncliip the stupid thing and let the main sheet run.

If you insist on using one anyway, make it of some kind of clip that will break under pressure

Almost all Catalina 22's (including ours) have that pigtail arrangement. It's only dangerous until you get knocked flat the first time. ;)

Nevertheless, I do like the "breakaway" concept. Or maybe a small snap shackle? Something to think about.