Single handing becoming more important for me

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
Agreed. Just got back from a 260 mile trip. Used the AP 95% of the time. Great for relaxing, cooking, cleaning, sleeping [just kidding].
Sounds like fun and I would definitely want an auto pilot for a trip like that. However, the OP was asking about a lake that is a mile wide and only a few miles long so we're not talking about the same thing here.

It does sound like he already has one though so I would definitely hook it up.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I would agree with Stu. The ability to "go do stuff" anytime and know for sure the boat is safe on course is something you cannot do with any kind of tamer.

Are you guys on Pigeon?

Jan 31, 2013
MacGregor Mac26X Trailer sailing for adventure,
After all lines/sheets to the cockpit and a furling headsail, definitely an autopilot.

Macboy

Aug 8, 2014
Macgregor 26S Sherwood Park, Alberta
Are you guys on Pigeon?
It's a MacGregor - we're on the trailer :)

Actually the boat is at dads (just outside of Sherwood Park) for some carb cleaning & rebuilding. Then it'll be trailered to and fro - likely on weekday afternoons/evenings for the rest of August. Gull Lake's Aspen Beach launch has proven to be a nice easy launch with straight shots in n out. I'm adding "dig out the auto pilot" to the list of to-dos tomorrow afternoon.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
I got an AP the 2nd year of ownership. best $300 spent on boat.

The tiller tamer would change course when weight shifted forward or aft.
leading halyards aft will help with safety.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
  • Yes, get the AP. It has nothing to do with age and everything to do with breaking the "tryany of the tiller" for a few minutes. They are very reliable and most non-mechanical failures are due to imbalance issues. Some are subject to damage if they are powering against the stop, but this is a matte of attention.
  • Forget heaving to as a heavy weather strategy in a small boat. Reef deeply or go to bare poles in a bad squall. Do not hesitate. All that big boat reasoning does not apply to you.
  • Respect the bad back. What you consider a "bad back" and what he is dealing with are likely orders of magnitude different. Getting old sucks, and for every person that says "age is just a number" there is one where the changes are visible on x-rays. Some just have better luck or better parents. Come back in 30 years and ask yourself the same questions. 30 years ago you were probably not even walking.

Macboy

Aug 8, 2014
Respect the bad back. What you consider a "bad back" and what he is dealing with are likely orders of magnitude different. Getting old sucks, and for every person that says "age is just a number" there is one where the changes are visible on x-rays. Some just have better luck or better parents. Come back in 30 years and ask yourself the same questions. 30 years ago you were probably not even walking.
Thanks for those words. I hear ya. Just makes a guy a bit sad that we've finally got to this point together (owning the boat) and he's struggling to get on board. You know though, I bet every time I ask and he tells me his back can't take it he feels bad. I never pester him but perhaps I should just carry on and leave him be. Show him it's OK, that it's not like the boat will go unused and when he's ready to climb aboard he'll be able to "play" with whatever he wants to since I'll have the rest all under control.

I've just crested 40 myself and feel similar aging onsets - needing reading glasses at the grocery store (I use the zoom on the iPhone camera instead ; ), achy hips sleeping in our beloved tent (and on the Mac), the infernal middle of the night have to pee.......

Macboy

Aug 8, 2014
Thanks again for all the guidance everyone. Here's the current state of the boat - a lot of which already covers many of the above comments:

- Lines are all led to the cockpit
- CDI FF2 - Furling line and sheet lines led to cockpit
- Lazyjacks on the mainsail (but just a single "Y" section 2' 9" and 7'6" along boom - could use one more branch...I'll do that)
- Tillerpilot which has previously been installed and presumably used on this boat (will check model# tomorrow)
- Boat has stern rail and lifelines all around, will have netting sometime - just need the right day to install it. Bought enough to change our minds and make sure it's installed just right and not just a false sense of security....bought it for the kids, the kids' stuff and the dog.
- Two anchors and accompanying rode (20' chain, 150' line); a danforth and a plow which ride up in the PVC tube mod on the pulpit ready to deploy (not from the cockpit mind you)

Other not mentioned stuff:
- iCom handheld IC-M72 VHF (will also sail with cellphone and our lakes have coverage throughout)
- Have oars, flares, floating lines, spare tiller, manual bilge pump (as well as two auto pumps in port and starboard bilges)
- 3 Fire Extinguishers on board - one on each side inside near companionway, one in Laz

Will do/get for further safety:
- Harness for myself
- Foul weather gear to stow on board in case of emergency

And lastly, I know I have all the best wishes of everyone here for many successful solo sails AND many with dad. I'm ready for some fair winds......

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
Sounds like you're almost ready. You'll also want to add a flashlight and first-aid kit to your emergency supplies. I'd also make sure that your navigation lights work since you're planning to sail in the evenings. I'm sure you plan to return before dark but sometimes things happen.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
You might want to consider a temporary slip at the Wabamun marina for the rest of the year. I'd bet you could get in, and it'd be 1/2 the travel time, and the boat would've rigged and ready to go.
Just a thought.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
nice inventory!

The only thing you could add would be a 'life sling'.

Its surprisingly hard to bring someone aboard from the water, if they are not able bodied.

The life slings are simple devices, and work well.

OTOH; honestly I'm not sure how well it would work on a Water-ballast boat.

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
Always. Have. A. Gatorade. Pee. Bottle.

Thanks for those words. I hear ya. Just makes a guy a bit sad that we've finally got to this point together (owning the boat) and he's struggling to get on board. You know though, I bet every time I ask and he tells me his back can't take it he feels bad. I never pester him but perhaps I should just carry on and leave him be. Show him it's OK, that it's not like the boat will go unused and when he's ready to climb aboard he'll be able to "play" with whatever he wants to since I'll have the rest all under control. I've just crested 40 myself and feel similar aging onsets - needing reading glasses at the grocery store (I use the zoom on the iPhone camera instead ; ), achy hips sleeping in our beloved tent (and on the Mac), the infernal middle of the night have to pee.......

Macboy

Aug 8, 2014
Ah haha - I wonder why they've never tried that as part of a national ad campaign......

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Tradeoffs.. Males are supposed to be about 4X more likely to get struck by lightning..

But you guys are pointing out that males have at least one advantage over females for single hand sailing.. (as long as they don’t fall of the boat while using this advantage..)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Hmmm. Why carry pee onboard? A funnel and some tubing fed into the cockpit drain. Done and gone.