Single handed Jib dousing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2010
Oday 22 Orleans Marina, NOLA
I often singlehand and in choppy water I'd rather not go forward to douse the jib (no furler) so yesterday I rigged up a jib downhaul so I could lower the jib from the cockpit. It worked great except I still had to go forward because the jib ended up in the water (almost), spilling over the side.

I suppose if I had lifelines it may stay on deck, but that project comes after some others I have planned.

Anyone have a solution?

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
Yeah, you might want life lines if you're single handing. Heck, they even come in handy if you don't.

Rich

Jun 12, 2010
Sure, I guess I need to move lifelines into the 'single handling projects' category. I need a 2nd job.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Sure, I guess I need to move lifelines into the 'single handling projects' category. I need a 2nd job.
These boats can eat at the table with you Ken, if you let them. :D I know your pain. I've been there. The only other thing you might try is; Head into the wind and lower the sail. then take up on one or both of the sheets and cleat them off. Then fall back on to your course. At some point in time you're going to need to either bag your sail or run it back up again. There are no easy ways out of it without a furler or life liines.

Joe

Jun 29, 2010
Oday 23 Watkins Glen, NY
Your only other possibility (beyond those mentioned would be to try a snuffer like you'd use for your chute.

Jun 3, 2004
Oday 26 Lake Keowee,SC
simple...add a down haul line from the clew thru some of the eyelets to a turn block the back to the cockpit. Pull down on the down haul line and FEED the halyard slow to make a nice fold on the deck. Keep the sheet tight and the sail will not go in the water.

Jun 12, 2010
Thanks for the replies. I found this info on a Gerr Downhaul, along the lines of what kdsail said. A few other tips I found here at sbo:

1. Attach to 2nd hank from top, prevents binding.
2. Don't run line through hanks, alternate on each side of hanks (not sure if this will work with Gerr system, line may need to be free)

I'll find out this weekend.

Jan 6, 2010
KP,

If you look around or search on the internet, you can probably pick up a small used furling system. There's always a deal out there.

Had a drop headsail for years on a previous boat & hated it. It may be wiser to just get what you need pal than to fight it all the time. There will always be conditions that will not work well with your setup. besides do you really want all those extra lines on you deck (tripping etc.)?

CR

Jun 12, 2010
KP,

If you look around or search on the internet, you can probably pick up a small used furling system. There's always a deal out there.

Had a drop headsail for years on a previous boat & hated it. It may be wiser to just get what you need pal than to fight it all the time. There will always be conditions that will not work well with your setup. besides do you really want all those extra lines on you deck (tripping etc.)?

CR
I agree, however I will eventually (next season?) need a new jib, and at that time I plan on going with the roller furler. Money is a little tight, that is, the wife and kids like to eat more than they like sailing (I could go either way) so this is more cost effective than even the cheapest furler + modifications to the sail.

I found this in Richard Henderson's book Single Handed Sailing, Its a modified Gerr rig
that will use a bit less line and have a bit less friction (one less block).

Status
Not open for further replies.