Single Boarding Step

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
We need a nice looking, single step to get up from the dink onto the deck. We don't want to mar the hull, and the boat has teak toerails. Any suggestions for a step?

Thanks,

jv

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
We need a nice looking, single step to get up from the dink onto the deck. We don't want to mar the hull, and the boat has teak toerails. Any suggestions for a step?

Thanks,

jv
Here's what I use. Dinghy to the deck via the starboard life-line gate. Attach the snap hooks to the stanchions on either side of the gate. Not great, but good enough even when the boat/dinghy is pitching some. The fender step is probably better. West Marine for one vendor.

upload_2017-8-28_12-22-27.png

Last edited:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Here's what I use. Dinghy to the deck via the starboard life-line gate. Attach the snap hooks to the stanchions on either side of the gate. Not great, but good enough even when the boat/dinghy is pitching some. But the fender step is probably better. West Marine for one vendor.

View attachment 140326
Thanks, KG, that's exactly what we have now! Only concern is scratching the painted topsides with the plastic, 'though I guess I could attach something.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I'm 290 and it has held up ok. Also I'm not sure what No-Yachty looks like or if it's good or bad ;)
Les

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
when my kids out grew their Ikea swing seat, I gave it to a sailor friend put it to good use as single step broading step.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Dumb question - do you not have/want a swim ladder on the transom which would also be used for general boarding and then be there as a permanent safety feature?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Dumb question - do you not have/want a swim ladder on the transom which would also be used for general boarding and then be there as a permanent safety feature?
There is a 'sugar scoop' type transom with a boarding ladder. However, I have found that when it's not calm, there's too much movement at the transom to allow safe boarding. We generally approach and board with the dinghy about mid-ships, where the movement is least, hence, the need for a step.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Wow, so I had all winter to make the step that Rich made, and I didn't! The weather's lousy here today, so not going to the boat for the weekend. Will try for a day sail tomorrow. Maybe today I'll make that step! I have some 6x 4/4" (full inch) Mahogany decking.

I'm thinking of a more padded cushion that your leather piece, @Rich Stidger , and also maybe using Polartec instead of leather, 'cause the new boat is Awlgrip, and Polartec it the recommended covering material for fenders. Might put piece of garden hose on the edge and wrap it in Polartec.

I like the polyurethane finish you applied! I wonder why we don't just use that on the external teak, instead of all these expensive marine finishes that don't seem to last.

Cheers,

jv

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I like the polyurethane finish you applied! I wonder why we don't just use that on the external teak, instead of all these expensive marine finishes that don't seem to last.
I actually use MinWax brand Helmsman exterior polyurethane for all my external wood. I find that I like the finish, it holds up as well as the marine-specific products, and is half the price or less. I don't have any external teak, but rather some other kind of wood. Teak is an oily wood so I'm not sure about what glossy finishes are best. But if you have teak and are using some marine finish, I would expect that the MinWax Helmsman would work fine. If you find that it is not as good, then just don't use it again.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Thanks Rich. In fact, my wife was in charge of teak on our previous boat (the Catalina 35), and used that product for a long time. It didn't hold up great, but that may have been because of too few coats. Got pretty much the same results for much more money using the more expensive marine stuff.

With my new boat I have this fantasy of re-doing the teak toe rails in the fall, after hauling and before inside storage, using the Awlgrip system of Awlspar (varnish) for color, only two coats, topped with Awlbrite 3-part acrylic urethane - 10 coats! (As recommended by Alwgrip). It will take a complete staging set-up around the boat, and at least four days. Hardly seems worth it, upon reflection.

Someday someone will develop a robot that can do this, unattended.