Simrad Transducer Operation

Aug 17, 2017
Catalina Catalina 30 MKII 5346 Melbourne Yacht Club
I just finished installing a Simrad Cruise 7 chartplotter with the echosounder transducer. I'm seeing unexpected things on the screen, and of course, the Simrad website is of about zero help, and there's no contact number or email address. The symptom is that the echosounder icon on the home page is red. Since I'm stationary (for the moment) the screen doesn't really tell me much except that it's indicating an incorrect depth. Can anyone here tell me what the red is indicating? Obviously, it seems to be indicating the silly thing isn't working. I was hoping someone could provide a little more detail. OBTW, it is mounted inside the hull below the waterline just below the galley sink on an O'Day 272LE.
Thanks!

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
Before other questions, was this Simrad Unit a kit or did you buy the units separately. Did the store make the combination recommendation? As you have mounted it "In Hull" it may be incorrectly mounted. What is the transdeucer model number? Is it the style where mineral spirits are used to remove any air pockets in the cup or have you taken a "through hull" units and embedded it in silicon sealer. Answering these can give folks who may be able to help understanding and provide you with a possible solution.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2011
Two techniques to verify that the transdeucer is working without "fixing" it in place are: First dangle the unit over the side in the water. Check your system. Second is to take a large seal able plastic bag, fill with water so it will lay flat in your V berth floor ahead of your keel. make sure you get as much air out as possible. Put the face of the transdeucer on top of the bag and press down to push any remaining air up to the sides of the bag. Using some tape such as froggy or gaf tape, hold everything down in place. Then check your readings. It might be a case that you have air pockets between the hull inner surface and the face of the transdeucer.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
How are the readings inaccurate? Is it giving a depth, just the wrong amount, or no depth at all? How is the transducer mounted? As twodzusfittings says that can lead to problems, especially if there are any air pockets. You could also try unplugging the transducer completely from the MFD. If the symptoms change then electrically you are probably fine, and you just need to find a better way to mount the transducer. If the MFD reports the same thing when the transducer wire is unplugged then it might not be getting a signal at all.

Aug 17, 2017
Catalina Catalina 30 MKII 5346 Melbourne Yacht Club
Before other questions, was this Simrad Unit a kit or did you buy the units separately. Did the store make the combination recommendation? As you have mounted it "In Hull" it may be incorrectly mounted. What is the transdeucer model number? Is it the style where mineral spirits are used to remove any air pockets in the cup or have you taken a "through hull" units and embedded it in silicon sealer. Answering these can give folks who may be able to help understanding and provide you with a possible solution.
It is a SIMRAD Cruise 7 and it came with the transducer all in one package. It comes with an 83/200 Transducer. I've installed it using 5200 on the inside of the hull.

Aug 11, 2011
Oh No, Not 5200! That's the death caulk sealer. It gets rock hard and you'll need to chisel or grind it out. That may be your issue.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The transducer needs to be attached to the hull but all air between the hull and the transducer must be gone. There may be an air pocket in the 5200 that you used.

Second when attach a transducer “in hull” you need to pick a spot where the hull is solid. Thus the use of a water filled bag. This allows you to move the unit around to different places in the boat to find the best spot. Despite what we think/hope, when our plastic boats are made, sometimes air pockets happen in the hull. Most of the time these are never known. Sometimes they are discovered. And then we repair them.

Your choice, but you may want to use some 3M glue remover and try to free the transducer. You are about to discover why 5200 is called the Devil’s Caulk. The remover can help. Check the forum. A number of people have posted ways they have used to remove 5200.