Simpson Lawrence Windlass manual use

Dec 15, 2017
Hunter Legend 41AC Portsmouth
Hello all,

We have the factory fit windlass on our H41AC and although it works fine using the electric motor, what do we do if that fails to raise the chain?

I have looked in the manual and it says to use a winch handle to undo the centre part (blue in the image) and then use the winch handle in the red part of the image to turn it and manually raise and lower the chain.

Tried this and the chain part will not turn any way (turns fine with the motor).

Any ideas please as using the time in lockdown here in Gran Canaria to good effect!

Attachments

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
I cannot be of much help as my Lewmar V3 requires a $300 manual recovery kit that I have not yet invested in. I did find a video that basically shows what your narrative describes. I can only think that there is a mechanical issue. Something a complete strip down and lub may correct.

Windlass Manual Recovery

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
The manual is correct. You windlass looks just like mine- a Simpson-Lawrence Anchorman 1000.

First you engage the pawl at the base of the gypsy so that the chain cannot drop into the water and the drum and gypsy cannot turn. The center blue winch socket will unlock the drum and gypsy from the motor shaft via a clutch when turned CCW. Then you use the winch handle in the red winch socket and turn to raise the chain. The pawl will engage and release as you raise the chain so that it will not drop back into the water. After the chain is raised, engage the pawl in the gypsy and then tighten the clutch with the winch handle in the blue socket CW.

This is a tedious process. You should know how to do it but I would not do it on a regular basis.

If you follow my instruction and the drum/gypsy will not turn, then I would guess that the drum and gypsy are frozen to the motor shaft due to corrosion. Disassemble the drum from the top of the windlass to correct this condition. You may need to use a rubber mallet on the winch handle to break the drum free from the motor shaft. Your instruction manual should show all of these internal parts. If you don't have the exploded view of the windlass, re-post a request and I will dig out my documentation and post it for you.

Dec 15, 2017
Thanks and dismantled as much as I could today (as did not want to break it and do not have a rubber mallet onboard) . Got the rope drum off, the gypsy off but could not dismantle it any further as did not want to risk breaking it as it works with the electric motor.

May re-attack it in a few days!

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The center blue winch socket will unlock the drum and gypsy from the motor shaft via a clutch when turned CCW.
It takes a full revolution CCW and you can tell because you will hear/feel the release of the pawl. Then put the handle crank in RED and crank CW.
I really seems weird, but works.

The first time I did it, I hauled in on the anchor chain and another cranked the handle.
So...
You may have to take tension off the gypsy, a bit, to get the mechanism to release the first time.

How did I know to do this?
I gave up on the manual and was pulling in the chain and anchor myself. [not too tough in calm seas]
I braced my legs on the Anchor cleats, put on some gloves and started hauling.:kick:`

Good luck...
Jim...

PS: Mine is AM 1000 too. The manual is available in SBO downloads section.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
It is part #4 [pdf file below] that has to be released, so you should not have to "dig" in to far.
Jim...
Part #4 is the external pawl that keeps the drum/gypsy from rotating after the clutch is released via the center winch socket. No disassembly is required to get to it because it is external.

• Helpful
Dec 15, 2017
Thanks and still can not get it to work and so took it apart again to have a look and can not see part #4 you mention on my windlass. If i take the rope drum off I can rotate the gypsy by hand but as soon as the rope drum is on and on the groove in the pole the rope drum will not turn and therefore the gypsy will not turn. The pole does not seem to want to turn unless using the electric motor.

Attachments

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Part #4 is under what your picture shows and it is Part#43.

@Rich Stidger says you should be able to put you hand under #43 and find #4 and see if it moves. If you can't move it, then that is the problem.
Jim...

Dec 15, 2017
Thanks and will have another look tomorrow but think it is something I may not be able to sort so as it works under power don't want to rusk breaking it!

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Her is a picture of my S-L windlass. You can clearly see part #4 and it can move so that it never engages into the edge slots on the gypsy, or it can be moved so that it will engage the gypsy as it turns. When the gypsy turns to haul up the anchor chain, this pawl #4 willdrop into the edge cutout or slot as the chain is pulled up. It will move out of the way as the gypsy is continued to be rotated pulling up on the chain.
2015_0829_152822.JPG

Looking again at your windlass, it is a different model than mine. Yours feeds the chain down into the locker and the windlass is mounted vertically. Mine is mounted horizontally and the chain simply drops into the locker. I can't tell from your pictures if you even have this part #4, but if you don't then I fail to understand how the gypsy holds the chain from falling into the water when you take the winch handle out of the red socket hole.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
using the winch handle, turning the center counterclockwise should release the clutch and allow the drum to turn separately from the motor. you can then use the outer hole with the winch handle to turn the drum and raise the chain/rode. If the center doesn't turn, it's frozen - try a penetrating oil to loosen while tapping on the inserted winch handle.

Sep 30, 2013
Hunter 356 Tampa, FL
Hello. This is my first post on this forum, but I believe I can help. Your windlass DOES look like mine and after downloading several Simpson-Lawrence manuals, I think it is the Sprint 1000 model. I've attached it here and if you look at page 16, in order to retrieve the chain manually, you have to remove the drum and use a special hand gear tool. I don't have one and I've never done this, but I could never get the gipsy to turn other than under power either, so this little tool makes sense. BTW, the manual says to never wrap chain around the drum. It's only for rope. Hope this helps.

Attachments