Simpson Laurence SL00605167 Windlass

Aug 9, 2007
Hunter 340 Tacoma, WA
I have a 2001 Hunter 340 which had as original equipment a SL 600605167 Windlass. It is a vertical windlass I believe SL made to fit the Hunter anchor locker in the mid to bigger size boats in the late 1990s and early 2000s. I need to replace the gearbox (the motor cleaned up fine and above deck everything cleaned up and is running well. However the gearbox is on it's last legs and needs replacing. Anyone know of a suitable replacement (I really don't want to replace the motor if I can help it to save the expense).
Dave

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
I wonder what's wrong inside the gearbox? If it's just bearings you could probably get new ones and get another 20 years out of it.

Apr 4, 2015
Bavaria Vision 42 Campbell River
My experience with John at SLSpares was very different - he was very helpful in ID'ing my gypsy, knowing with parts from other windlass's were interchangeable (stainless arm instead of the cheap plastic original) and shipped quickly - received less than a week later in BC. There's also a P2 Marine in Maryland that has some parts as well. Their prices were much higher, however, once I'd converted $US and Brit pounds to $Cdn.

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
or take it to a machine shop and get whatever gear you need to replace made

machine shops really aren't as expensive as thought lots of times

Aug 9, 2007
Hunter 340 Tacoma, WA
Thanks for you responses. I've emailed SL Spares to confirm compatibility with my windlass and will likely go with them if so.