simple wind/weather app for iphone

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
LIke Radar, you need to understand the tool. Use it to gain an awareness of the features and flaws so that you can assess, manage and discard data to arrive at a forecast. Forecasts are great when made and immediately subject to change. Models displayed on "Apps" or in computer software are mathematical projections from thousands of observations. The quality of the observations are the challenge to your forecast being relevant. So all models in apps have an expiration date. All models are continuously updated based on the new data being observed.

That said, in the PacificNW waters we have models like NAM (during a discussion with a Canadian CG Officer he recommended use of NAM for 12 hour forecasting), GFS (NOAA data models), and ECMWF (the EURO Model) which can all be found on WINDY App or .COM...

The option of viewing multiple models and then seeing their convergence or divergence over 1-3 days helps to create a sense of confidence in the forecast. That is why I use it as a primary tool.

Sometimes I just want to know the local temp. WeatherUnderground.com (there's an app for that) is a decent tool to use. I can get local conditions in the Puget Sound or north of the 49th Parallel.

Not only is it important to know the weather but also the currents. In the Sound I use "DEEPZOOM.com". Easy to use graphical interface with accurate identification of tidal current speed and direction. It has been a free service, but I suspect as they continue to add more features it will eventually become a paid service. It is Microsoft based so for now it is a browser based tool.

What ever you choose, you need to spend a lot of time with the tool. Practice forecasting events and observe the results noting the successes and failures of the forecast. If you are correct 50% or greater you are doing very good.

Of equal importance, Listen to the VHF Radio Weather broadcasts. They are usually time sensitive data sourced for the marine environment.