simple wind/weather app for iphone

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I like Windy (Windy.com, not Windy.app) for wind forecasts. For current conditions Iuse Wind Alert. For general weather forecasts I use bit AccuWeather and Wunderground.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
ABDD81FD-8D1C-4A6A-964B-1885C7A86F23.png

there is some redundancy… for example navinics will do wind or tides if you change the display… and windy can do currents etc.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I like one called “Willyweather”. Has a nice wind graph.
IMG_1934.png

For marine forecasts, I like BoatUS.
IMG_1935.png

For radar, AccuWeather seems OK.
IMG_1936.png

All are free.

But I often go “old school”…

IMG_1780.png

Greg

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
Well, TallyHo stole my thunder (pun intended).

I like Willyweather (formerly Willywind). Data is presented in easy-to-scan graphs. You can create custom profiles yourself, choosing as many as five different conditions you wish to monitor. In the screenshot below attached, I have rainfall probability, wind real-time, wind forecast, UV forecast, and temperature forecast. This gives me all the info I need to plan if and when I want to plan to go for a sail, and forecasts go out about a week.

I like the way the wind graph is displayed with by-the-hour wind speed and direction. As the observant reader will note, forecast wind is not always correct, but I find it is reasonably accurate the majority of the time.

Attachments

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
This was done this morning using Windy.com [premium needed at $20USD/year]
Helping @dLj to decide when to cross the North Atlantic.

Screenshot 2023-07-14 at 8.50.39 AM.png

Please note the dates and average boat speed on that picture.

Windy.com works on my iPad, since it has a larger screen size.:cool:

Jim...

PS: the red dots are Way points return Long/Lat from GPS. you can guess at the next waypoint on your course. That can be adjusted as you sail.
PSS: the LOW pressure cell is Tropical Storm 4. The path I showed passes it. @dLj decided look again on Sunday for the models to update :clap:

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hi,

I pay for PredictWind and use it every time I sail. I also use the free version of Saiflow. I have checked a few other ones as well. I have not been able to see any meaningful accuracy difference between any one. I believe they all use the same source data.

Predictwind will give you the forecast from 8 different models. What I have learned is that if the various models agree, then that is the weather you will get. If the models all differ then it's really just a guess. It's not uncommon for 1 model to show N wind at 5, while the next model shows S wind at 2, and the next shows E wind, while another shows W. That means they really have no idea. You can look the forecast and see the wind will shift (for example from N to E,) the particular timing may vary but when all the models show the same shift that's what you'll get.

Good luck,
Barry

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I just spent a couple hours with Andy from 59 North as he's anchored two boats over from me. He has pretty well convinced me the northern route from here to St. Pierre to St. John's then on to Ireland is the new plan.

dj

Sep 11, 2022
Catalina 34 mk 1.5 Rockland ME
I rather like Ventusky for its visualization and layout but I haven’t tried the other options listed here. Pretty similar to the other screenshots.

Honestly my personal favorite is the national weather service website. It’s free, ad-free and does point forecasts on a clickable map, but the real killer feature is the slightly buried Hourly Weather Graph. Details like sky cover, fog, and wave period are incredibly useful and hard to find elsewhere. I have my favorite sailing zones saved as bookmarks on my phone’s Home Screen. I also use the MyRadar app for real-time storm tracking.

it’s amazing how much forecast variation you get between platforms though. And I have yet to experience one being consistently more reliable than another.
1689385866767.png

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
it’s amazing how much forecast variation you get between platforms though. And I have yet to experience one being consistently more reliable than another.
:plus:
Consistently inconsistent is the way I describe them. I thought this was unique to my cruising grounds as there are many islands with extreme elevations making it very difficult to forecast with any accuracy. Possibly a paid subscription would be more reliable???

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Possibly a paid subscription would be more reliable???
Doubtful. They’re all using the same models. One reason I like Windy is you can see a few different models to get a feel for how much variation there is between them. There’s no easy way to know which model will be right, but if there’s lots of spread you know they’re low confidence and you can plan for the worst.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
This is a short list of Wind.com Premium extras.
Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 10.34.52 AM.png

It is available on my smart devices , which includes my family.
It will Alert you to nearby events like severe storms, tornado warning etc.

You can share your sailing location, with family ashore. Share files with other sailors on your route,

Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 10.44.23 AM.png

Also this site has a weather app too :wow3:
Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 10.49.45 AM.png

NOAA Marine Forecast

And this Forum.
Weather and Forecasting

Which I am a proud contributor and point this out so others can chime in or post too.

Plus this info from other sailors.
Your favorite weather website?

Jim...

Sep 11, 2022
Catalina 34 mk 1.5 Rockland ME
:plus:
Consistently inconsistent is the way I describe them. I thought this was unique to my cruising grounds as there are many islands with extreme elevations making it very difficult to forecast with any accuracy. Possibly a paid subscription would be more reliable???
Wind forecasts where I sail (Penobscot Bay, ME) are next to useless. Order of magnitude (relatively calm vs gusty/stormy) is about all you can trust. That, and wind can usually be counted on to pick up from the South in the afternoon on calm days.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Wind forecasts where I sail (Penobscot Bay, ME) are next to useless. Order of magnitude (relatively calm vs gusty/stormy) is about all you can trust. That, and wind can usually be counted on to pick up from the South in the afternoon on calm days.
I always tell the Admiral to just look out the window…which way is the flag blowing…and how hard is it flapping? Is there any rain on the deck? Any clouds in the sky?

That is as accurate as it gets. News weather folks like to hype bad weather (or are afraid of getting sued if they don’t broadcast a storm that “could” blow up)...so we get a lot of hype on the news.

I sat around all day today and did home chores because we were supposed to get storm in the area. I kept looking at the flag blowing 10 knot, from the south ( spectacular conditions for me). We got a few sprinkles at 5:00…

Yard needed to be cut, freezer needed to be defrosted, a few errands needed to be run…but they are done…

I don’t care if tornados are forecast for tomorrow….I am heading out on the lake!

Greg

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i watch my barometer with a close eye. do you?

i read High performance sailing by frank bethwaite. i can do my own forcasting. that with 'my radar' app where i can see the storms coming or not i'm good to go.

the prefrontal winds on the great lakes are spectacular to sail in, but that's where the storms are born.