simple question, about spinnakers

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
never had a spinnaker on my boats, I hear you guys talking about symmetrical and asymmetrical spins, what is the main difference and why the difference?

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
There you go...

...you can sail deeper with a symmetrical but it's easier to fly asso shorthanded.
You have to move the pole to gybe a symmetrical, an asso gybes mostly like a genoa.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
it's about getting square footage aloft. heading downwind the apparent wind decreases in speed. the boat then slows down.
with a displacement boat, an asymmetrical is for reaching-ish, and is smaller. symmetrical spinnakers are bigger and can be used for running and deep reaching. they are more work. they are bigger. they are faster.
the Asail is much easier to fly. it is faster than a big jib.

they are all great. they are a hoot to fly.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
so why don't sailors use them more? well, on a day sail when you throw up a spinnaker you are now going way down wind. oh,it's great fun. BUT, after a number of hours where are you now? your way down wind from home. driving to weather is great fun, i think. allot of sailors don't like to do it. "gentlemen don't sail to weather" you will hear. maybe they don't know how? some motor home, bummer.

me, i love it all

1615933929245.png

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
Not to hijack the thread, but since that seems relatively settled can anyone explain the difference between a code 0, a code D and a cruising Asym?

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
If it is only a day sail, the course is a reach out and a reach back. :biggrin: :beer:
That is my wife's favorite sailing choice. She only needs to change seats one time. Of course, in the Celebrity she needs to negotiate the centerboard trunk and duck under the boom! Just to touch on the original post.....no spinnaker of any shape on the Celebrity.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Not to hijack the thread, but since that seems relatively settled can anyone explain the difference between a code 0, a code D and a cruising Asym?
A Code D is kind of a mix between the Code 0 and the Asym. The luff and leech of the 0 are cut more like a headsail, with extra body to give it more power at close reaching angles. The asymmetric has very rounded luff and leech and is best on more broad reaches. The Code D has the straighter luff of the Code 0 but the rounded leech of the asymmetric, making it good for angles around a beam reach.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
driving to weather is great fun, i think. allot of sailors don't like to do it. "gentlemen don't sail to weather" you will hear. maybe they don't know how? some motor home, bummer.
Always sail when there's wind and leeway.

-Will (Dragonfly)

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I have a self dousing that the PO had pinned the hoisting lanyards to the chute bag with safety pins??? The 1 time I tired it it worked out good, But I didn't like all those safety pins, SO,,now I had a pile of spaghetti,,,I got it all bassackwards now, need a day with NO wind to straighten that out,,,
did some check online looks like the whole chute bag has to be re threaded into the internal sleeve, all lines were on the outside???and pinned...I guess make a fid out of 1/2 conduit maybe 4 ft long and re rig. also seen my mistakes as to the tack set up on pulley rather than the static tack I had used..
Dumb question: Is the sleeve inside out?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
... and when is it correct to use the terms Gennaker and Drifter?

From Wiki, a Gennaker sounds just like an Asymm. Is that correct?