Simple Ladder

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Hunter 170 Lake Logan Martin AL
I haven't sailed in a few months. The last time was a disaster. My sailing partner capsized my 170. I learned that getting aboard from the water is difficult for most and impossible for me. I am going to tie a 1/2-inch rope to the tabernacle and leave a 6 ft. length off the stern with several bowline loops. The last loop can hang on one of the stern cleats. I welcome suggestions.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
At least you didn't drown and learned an important lesson. Whatever boat you are on, you need a way to re-board it that works for you.
Small boats may be worse because they list when someone tries to climb up the side. So those portable ladders don't work so well particularly for bigger people. Rope ladders are worse yet. What sailsfbay shows is what's needed. Several steps with arched rises which you can grab and lift yourself up on. Without something to grab you are still stuck in the water.

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Hunter 170 Lake Logan Martin AL
Thanks. I need this tomorrow so rope will have to do for now. The loops will make a good foothold and I will have a high loop for a handhold.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
Fortunately the open-transom design of the Hunter 170 makes a really good solution easy and affordable. I installed a surface-mount ladder like this one on my 170. Turns the 170 into a swim platform with sails. One of the first mods I did.

This source is out of stock, but it is a common design, so you should not have too much trouble finding one.

You will find this kind of rigid ladder much easier to climb since it will not swing under the boat when you push with your foot. BTW, good idea adding the loops up higher on your temporary fix.