Simple Green is not simple. It is EVIL!

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
:huh: and let's not forget about Spray Nine. I'm not sure what it would do to acrylic hatches, but in my experience it etched a painted wood toilet seat left wet too long, and seemed to damage my CSM (Hypalon) dinghy fabric. I don't use it anymore, but if I did I'd be careful to rinse quickly and thoroughly. Anybody want some for free?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Just a FYI, from the MSDS provided on Simple Green, while the concentration is quite low, alcohols are deadly for acrylic. I imagine at this level of concentration, you can probably get away with using this but you should apply and rinse right away. Personally, I would never use any sort of cleaner containing any amount of alcohol on an acrylic.

1624627053141.png

Someone mentioned aluminum rims - sodium citrate, sodium carbonate and citric acid will all attack aluminum.

dj

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Another option, though a bit radical, change the acrylic to glass. Then you can apply all the alcohol you choose not to drink.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Simple Green: Disburse diesel spill at fuel dock. Not legal but completely reliable.
What this actually does, similar to using dish soap, is make the combined fuel and detergent even more toxic to coral than the diesel alone.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
What this actually does, similar to using dish soap, is make the combined fuel and detergent even more toxic to coral than the diesel alone.
Yup.
The MSDS specifically states "Do not allow into open waterways and ground water systems"

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
FWIW there are multiple products under the Simple Green name. As has been mentioned, the the standard consumer product version is a problem if used on plastics and aluminum.

Their website (and many people who use it) state that you should dilute it and rinse thoroughly,.when used on aluminum...

That said, I don't see why people would do that when more appropriate products exist.

Here is an old post from the US DoD safety site:

------------------------------
Simple Green's not for Aircraft Washing

Don't use Simple Green to wash aircraft or aircraft components.
It has been brought to the attention of the AMCOM Depot Maintenance Engineering Team that numerous units are using the commercial product SIMPLE GREEN as an aircraft wash. STOP! This product has been through DoD testing and was determined to be highly corrosive on aircraft aluminum. It can also be a catalyst for hydrogen embrittlement in high strength aircraft alloys.

While it is a highly effective cleaning agent for floors and non-aluminum/non-high strength alloy vehicles, this product is not approved for aviation usage.
If your unit has been using SIMPLE GREEN on a regular
basis, it is recommended that a thorough fresh water wash with the approved cleaners per the appropriate airframe maintenance manuals be accomplished as soon as practicable. This should be followed up with a corrosion inspection/treatment and application of approved CPCs.

Insure that no unauthorized cleaning products are being used on your aircraft or in the shops as a component cleaner.

POC: (361)961-4041, DSN 861-4041

-------------

They NOW make an aluminum safe product for aircraft but it comes in drums. Called Extreme Simple Green Aircraft and Precision cleaner. Based on the MSDS it doesn't have alcohol so may be safe on acrylic, but that is for a chemist or their tech support to answer.