Simple Engine Maintenance Log

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
I have been using an Excel workbook as an engine maintenance log. Our sailing is seasonal coastal cruising so the simple form has worked for me. I share it in case it may be helpful to anyone who doesn't have something in use. I keep a print copy in the chart table so I can annotate as needed.

If anyone recognizes anything additional to track, please feel free to comment here. If you would like a copy of the spreadsheet you can find it here

1605725277446.png

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Nice idea. We think alike. You really check those items every week?
I have one for all of my maintenance and improvements. I keep a separate sheet with part nos I used and the source.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
Nice idea. We think alike. You really check those items every week?
I have one for all of my maintenance and improvements. I keep a separate sheet with part nos I used and the source.
The spreadsheet has a second workbook titled "Parts" with that information. I''m humbled to admit that I dont do the list EVERY week, I guess frequency can depend on your engine hour schedule. For our use, I'll change mine to say "Every second Sunday"

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The spreadsheet has a second workbook titled "Parts" with that information. I''m humbled to admit that I dont do the list EVERY week, I guess frequency can depend on your engine hour schedule. For our use, I'll change mine to say "Every second Sunday"
The schedule will work itself out. It's very handy to have something like this though. Certainly for resale. I had very little listed maintenance from Bella's previous owners. I am creating my own baseline by going thru everything. Some findings are eye openers.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Big fan of spreadsheets, so kudos. I use the Weems and Plath Maintenance Log, which I keep in the chart table and don't need a computer or power, but its just a personal preference.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
We use a little black book for each department, deck and engine. Everything we do in the engine room, filters, oil change adding water to engines or batteries, electric and pressure water system repairs or upgrades. We put fuel and oil use in there too.
The deck department book is for everything from lubing winches to tightening the rig. We just replaced the DryDeck in the cockpit and that went in there too.
I've had too many computers fail, losing all my data. The books are fail safe.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Very nice. And good call to keep it in Google Drive. I do the same with my maintenance log so I can easily access it whether at home on a PC, on my phone on the boat, or wherever. It also provides good insurance against failed computers that Capta mentioned.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
Sailfanatic - I like this, however, I'm missing where you keep track of the previous dates for oil and filter changes, etc. Not just the most recent entry. Are these logged somewhere?

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
Sailfanatic - I like this, however, I'm missing where you keep track of the previous dates for oil and filter changes, etc. Not just the most recent entry. Are these logged somewhere?
I haven't used this spreadsheet for that purpose, but I think a history log is a sensible addition, as that information would pass thru the sheet, so it becomes easy to retain it. That history would make this log very useful when selling the boat. I've updated the workbook and put out a new version.

I also remembered to add an item regarding checking/replacing the o-ring on the fuel filler cap, lest you get water in the tank...

1605798843054.png

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2022
Nauticat 38 Portland OR
Hi
I haven't used this spreadsheet for that purpose, but I think a history log is a sensible addition, as that information would pass thru the sheet, so it becomes easy to retain it. That history would make this log very useful when selling the boat. I've updated the workbook and put out a new version.

I also remembered to add an item regarding checking/replacing the o-ring on the fuel filler cap, lest you get water in the tank...

View attachment 187383
This is great! Any chance we could get an updated link?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Good list.

What sort of batteries do you have? Mine are FLA, so I would add check battery water levels monthly.

Greg

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston

View attachment 187383
I dont know why the link broke, this should work. Download the file and open it in Excel, as Google Docs causes some format problems.