Significant developments in the last 100 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2005
Catalina 30 Banderas Bay, Mexico
Some things never change, some things come and go, some new ideas never get off the ground (or past the launch ramp). Looking back over the last century, what would you say are the most significant developments in sailing? What are your choices for the most significant boats (designs)?

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Synthetic fiber for running rigging, sails and

anchor rodes, Fiberglass reinforced plastic. light weight, high speed diesel engines.

Jan 4, 2006
West Coast
To Add

Ross has nailed the big ones resulting from the advent of synthetic materials, and Bill pretty much covers the hull/keel/rudder advance, but a couple of nice conveneinces are: Reliable roller furling (has taken a few decades, but seems to be working fairly well now). In navigation: RDF, Loran, and finally, the Global Positioning System. Oh: the Marconi (Bermuda) rig has eclipsed the gaff rig in most of the western world. Less fuss, easier sail handling = sport open to more aspiring sailors. Still working on that table, Franklin? Ever get the cupholder problem solved?

Jun 4, 2004
Oday 25 Alameda
Price and Access

I can sail a good sized boat for recreation without being wealthy. How much money/percentage of middle class income did it cost to have a 30 foot boat commissioned at the turn of the last century? Maintenance/Upkeep?

T

Tom S

As Dustin Hoffman in the "Graduate" was told

"Plastics".. From Fiberglass Hulls to Dacron Sails. As for "most significant boats" I would say the Cal 40 with the Keel seperated from a Spade rudder and kicking some serious butt in a series of open ocean races. After that boat it changed the way most boats were designed for the masses.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
More price and access

To add to what Ed said; we now have lots of little servants that do all kinds of things for us that only the rich could afford before. A little guy that replaces the boswain and conns the ship while I use the head A little guy that keeps the bilge free of water A bunch of little guys that replaced the navigator That is only 3 guys and I'm sure I could think of more. Think of how much you'd have to pay to have these folks onboard. Not to mention the extra room and food you'd have to have.

T

tom

The Sails..DUH

Without a doubt the sails. Theoretical understanding of aerodynamic lift. Aluminun spars. Dacron fabric. The most significant sailboat may be the sunfish. If not the sunfish then maybe the catalina 22. Very few sailers have become sailers without sailing one of these boats. If not these exact boats then very simular boats. A $400 sunfish sold me on sailing. A Laser improved my skills. A catalina 22 was the first boat on which I spent a weekend.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Bill , I found a coffee table size book recently

called the golden age of yachting. In it there are picture of Lipton's Shamrock, The mainsail weighed nearly 9000 pounds. The ship carried 76 able seamen to handle the sails. All of the lines, and canvas were of natural fiber. The ships were of wood and constantly maintained, cleaned, sanded, varnished. The crews were in uniform and had to be fed and paid.

Oct 25, 2005
Catalina 30 Banderas Bay, Mexico
My list ... :)

Plywood ... the first composite Synthetic Fibres ... Nylon, Rayon, Dacron Stainless Steel rigging wire Alloy Spars GRP Hull construction ... Solid State Electronics ... (remember the spinning wheel with flashing neon strobe depth sounders?) Radio Navigation ... Sat Nav, LoRaN, GPS, Now GPS+WAAS Boats ... Sunfish then Laser Aqua Cat then Hobie 16 Cal 40 then every fin keel, spade rudder offshore boat since Moore 24 then other ULDB's

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
no question about it

Radar was patented in 1935. Nylon was developed in 1939. Dacron was synthesized in 1941. Duct tape was invented in 1942. The first fiberglass hull was built for the Navy in 1944. The first electronic computer was manufactured in 1946. Few sailors would argue that, of all of these significant technologies coming within an eleven-year period, the only one we couldn't do without is duct tape.

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
I might add...

...my new boat sports the very first seven-spoke (48 inch diameter) Access wheel manufactured my Edson. It's waaaaaaay cool, once you get past all jokers asking who screwed up your wheel.

T

tom h

the bikini

refrigeration, diesel motors, sockets and a host of other tools,

S

sailortonyb

TThe Pop-Top Beer Can

I rate the Pop-Top Beer can as the most significant development of the 20th century. After all, racers are nothing but a bunch of drinkers with a sailing problem.

S

Steve Morris, 1978 0'Day 25, "Second Wind"

The Thermos Bottle

It keeps hot stuff hot, and cold stuff cold. How does it know?

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
No question

The fiberglass boat absolutely revolutionized the sport. Before this one either had to be willing to spen uncountable hours preping or be rich enough to hire someone to do it. It has also kept costs down. Can you imagine what a Catalina 320 made entirely of wood would cost?

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Steve, they really work

I keep two popsicles and a cup of hot coffee in mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.