Side exit topping lift?

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Has anyone ever seen a topping lift that exits the side of the mast? I have a 3/8” line that exits the port side of the mast from an exit plate, not a block, near the top of the mast. The line exits near the base and is labeled: boom lift.

Is it possible the PO was misusing this line and labeled it as a topping lift? Why use an exit plate rather than an exit block? The exit plate is plastic and has broken, so the line is becoming frayed. A 3/8” line seems heavy for a topping lift, too.

Any other uses come to mind?

Thanks.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I have seen topping lifts attached to pad eyes on the side of a mast, near the top.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Yes, mine exits on port side approximately shoulder height.
Don’t recall if the exit plate is metal or plastic; there is a cleat to tie the topping lift to.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Can’t tell from your tiny picture but it appears your Telstar has lazyjacks. If so, can they support the boom? I’d rather use those than a topping lift on any boat with a high roach mainsail. The topping lift will interfere with the leech.

Aug 3, 2012
Can’t tell from your tiny picture but it appears your Telstar has lazyjacks. If so, can they support the boom? I’d rather use those than a topping lift on any boat with a high roach mainsail. The topping lift will interfere with the leech.
Yes. I have lazy jacks. They can support the boom. I am still curious about this seemingly poor design for a topping lift. The exit plate at the top of the mast is oriented to lead the line down to the deck, not aft to the boom. Not that I would want a 6” horizontal cut in my mast to lead the line aft! Why would someone use a side exit at the top of the mast for a topping lift? My topping lifts have always been over sheaves at the top of the mast, putting them in line with the boom. I am wondering if it was actually for another purpose, but what?

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I have a side exit on the mast labeled as the topping lift. The line exits high on the mast, but below the forestay attachment and is used for the spinnaker pole. The boom topping lift also has a side exit low on the mast and cleats near the mast base. that line exits at the rear of the mast at the top. The boom topping lift is only about a 6mm line. The pole topping lift on my boat is 10mm but probably doesn’t need to be.

Aug 3, 2012
Yeah... My boat has two front-exiting halyards for a spinnaker and a pole lift, so I do not think the side exit is for a spin pole.