Shut off handle at engine panel

Aug 19, 2005
Catalina 30 Florida
Hi,
wish we had a search function with "include ALL keywords", but after now scanning 396 entries containing anything from "off" to "handle", I think I must ask myself:

Shouldn't the shut off t-handle come off the metal rod by unscrewing it ?.
I have a Catalina 30, M25-XP, shut-off comes out in the middle of the bottom of the fiberglass frame around the engine panel. Shut off works fine, but I can't get the engine panel out to get to the back side with the handle in my way. I tried WD040, liquid wrench, pliers etc, to unscrew the handle, but it feels that nothing except brute force will get if off (and probably destroy it) :-(
Thanks for any tips/hints/help

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I just unscrew the panel and lift it off. The cable from the stop lever stays connected.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
as Stu says, there ususlly is enough slack in the cable to pull the panel face off; or you can undo the nut below the T handle and undo the engine cover and wire clamps and pull the cable out the panel enough to get some slack ..
(after carefully marking current cable clamp positions) usually, the wire is machine crimped into the T handle part and is not removable..

Aug 19, 2005
Catalina 30 Florida
Thank you guys!!! I'll go down to the boat and try again in a few minutes.
Was the handle always crimped into the rod end of the wire ?
At the catalina direct order page it looks like it's an assembly an on another thread someone claimed he just got a handle with a 1/4" thread from a "home depot" shop and replaces his.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2005
Catalina 30 Florida
Thanks again, that solved it. I guess I was a it afraid to pull too hard on the board, Bending it slightly in the middle did it. Hardest part was the instrument light of the tac. Seems to be the "largest" thing sticking out. But got it out and even in safely.
Now let's go on trying what else the lightning strike did kill!
Thanks and safe sailing!