Shurflo freshwater pump leak

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
I'm Hoping someone had a similar problem and can help.

I have a SHURflo pump model 3901-0216 that I installed 28JUL2012. In August of 2015 it has developed a leak that appears to be coming from the diaphragm for the pressure switch. Since the since just the pressure switch diaphragm part was not available as a separate replacement part I replaced the pressure switch which come with a new diaphragm. Unfortunately it still leaks and I'm unsure why. It leaks whether the pump is running or not. I also removed the Upper housing to ensure it was clean (which it was). There is also a SHURflo strainer installed prior to the pressure pump which is clean.

I notice that no leaks are occurring between the Upper housing and the valve housing. There is an assumed to be required pin hole in the upper housing piece behind the pressure switch diaphragm - I assumes provides the pressure to activate the switch, and it is this diaphragm that does not seal.

A little background is that I replaced much of the water tubing on my sailboat in the spring of 2015. I also installed a SHURflo Accumulator tank model 182-200, since the pump would turn on instantly when the cold water faucet was turned on. Now that the Accumulator tank has been installed it is not much better in that the pump runs in about three seconds after turning on the cold water faucet. The hot water side of the system (that has a check valve in it isolating it from the cold water side of the system) works better (assume due to the volume) in that it takes ten or more seconds of the hot water faucet running to make the pressure pump to go on.The hot water tank is a six gallon Raritan Hot Water heater.

Let me know what you think. Any suggestions - I tried emailing Shurflo twice with no answer.
Switch Kit lead.jpg

Attachments