Shrouds and Stays diameter?

Sep 16, 2020
Catalina 22 New Braunfels
Thinking of buying a Loos Gauge and want the correct one for the Cat 22. What is the diameter of the stays and shrouds?

Thanks,

Dan

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Dan, the specs for the size of stays and shrouds for your boat are in the manual. Don't have one? Google will most likely get you to the C22 Association website. I wouldn't be surprised if there is one on this very website, too.
That said, I've owned Catalinas since 1983 (C22, C25, C34).
1. Each of these masthead rigged sloops have the identical rigging and tuning guide the manuals. All done without a gauge. I have never needed to use one.
2. IIRC, no Catalina has standing rigging that can get by with only ONE Loos gauge, because the difference between the rigging sizes spans the size of one gauge - you'd need to buy two!

I highly recommend trying the manual's tuning guide first.

All the best.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
only ONE Loos gauge, because the difference between the rigging sizes spans the size of one gauge - you'd need to buy two!
The Loos gauge that I have works with several gauges of wire.

This series of gauges is nice as they hold onto the wire to allow you to adjust the turnbuckle to get the tension number your after.

The gauge is useful in that it provides info to make sure each side is balanced in tension. They don’t ensure mast is in column though ;)

Sep 16, 2020
Catalina 22 New Braunfels
Thank you both. Stu, I have a manual in route from Catalina Direct. Looking forward to studying it. I had a MacGregor 25 some years back. Doing a bottom job this weekend. Looking forward to launching the old gal soon.

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
My loos has slotting to measure the wire 3/32, 1/8, 1/4, 5/32 which covers pretty much any shroud or stay for a 22 which typically now is all 1/8 (I think) if replaced from a Catalina store. Stu is correct you don’t need one you can do the stick method the deflection method the twang it method. I prefer the gauge method. To each their own.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
from the North Sails guide:

"Tighten backstay until snug, no slack. Remove weight from halyard, attach a tape measure to halyard and haul to top of mast. Measure from side to side tightening or loosening upper shrouds until mast is centered.

Now start tightening upper shrouds until they have show 28 on the gauge. Tighten forward lowers until they show 24 on the gauge. Tighten aft lowers until they are 24 on the gauge too. To measure shroud tension use a Loos Model A Tension Gauge. The end result here is to have the mast straight fore and aft with a small amount of rake to give the boat some "bite" upwind."

Less on the model PT2 IIRC, ~20-22