Shroud tangs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 14, 2010
Hunter H33C Quincy, MA
How are the tangs for the upper shrouds (and lower for that matter) attached to the mast on the Cherubini Hunters? There is a tube that goes through the mast, I'm assuming to prevent the mast from crushing when the bolt holding the tangs is tightened, but there is an insert on each side that goes through the tangs and into the mast tube - the bolt then goes through these inserts and into the tube. I managed to get one side out, but the other side won't come out - are these inserts (like a collar of sorts) physically attached ti\o the tube on one side?

Jan 4, 2007
Hunter 30 Centerport
Funny you should ask....

I'm in the process of redoing the mast on my 83 H-30 which not on the boat and is in my back yard horizontal. It's a Kenyon mast and the tangs are set up just as you descriped. There is a tube that runs thorught the mast and a bushing on each end of the tube. A bolt goes through the tang then through the bushing and then through the tube. On the other end there is the second bushing, the tang and the nut. I have lower and upper tangs on my mast. After removing the nut and bolt the upper tang came out with only a little tugging.

After removing the bolt on the lower, no such luck. I sprayed WD-40 into the bushing and re sprayed a few times. Whet the bushing still would not come out I took a big flat head screwdriver and with the bold removed put it on an ange so the blade was on the lip of the of the inside of the bushing on the other side of the mast. A little gentle tapping with a hammer while moving the screwdriver around and the bushing on the far side popped out. If that doesn't you can try a little heat with a plumbers torch. (Be careful with the torch if your halyards are in the mast, it's easy to set them on fire. )

Hope this helps.

HN

Feb 14, 2010
Hunter H33C Quincy, MA
thanks HN. . . I experienced the opposite - the bushing for the uppers would not come out, but the bottoms came out great (except bushings stuck to the tangs). . . my big problem, once I saw how things went together, is that my mast is not on the ground, it's stored up on the boat so I have to hang precariously while trying to loosen stuck stuff

Jan 4, 2007
Hunter 30 Centerport
Ed,

It would scare the dickens out of me to be up on top of the mast with the boat up on stands or in a cradle (although a cradle l is probably a little better). I never thought that the boat is all that secure when not in the water. Also to be up on the mast when the upper shrouds are removed is REALLY scary no matter how well you think you've got things secured. Does your yard had a cherry picker with a basket to work from?

Howard

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Did I imply that I worked up there? Never happen, I had trouble cleaning the gutters on my ranch style house. My marina does not have a cherry picker. I have been in several marinas that do, a really nice feature for lights and lost halyards. My mast work has always been horizontal. Its on the rack right now awaiting spring when I will replace all of the wire rigging. And wondering about the ten year old halyards?

Jan 4, 2007
Hunter 30 Centerport
Purchase 4 new 100 foot 7/16" low strech double braid halyards from a store called onlineropestore.com The were about less than 1/2 the price of West Marine and even put in eyes in each line. shipping was cheap ant the delicered fast.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
See what you mean, $.74 a foot is a really good price. Not exactly a fair comparison to a finished halyard though. Defender gets $119. for 110' of 7/16". But that includes the captive headboard shackle.

Status
Not open for further replies.