Shroud on deck

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
Has anyone walked up to their boat and found a shroud laying on the deck, undamaged? It looks like it just fell off of the mast. I don't remember it being loose.
8/12/21 We went back to the slip and dropped the mast. This time I did it and my son helped. I would not hesitate to do it alone now if I had too. What a great system. When we got the mast down I discovered that the mast already had the new style retaining parts installed. I assume now that the shroud was simply not completely in the slot when we put it up the first time. The turnbuckle needed a good deal of adjustment. The next step is to unpack the main and put her on the boom.
IMG_20210804_142339225.jpg
IMG_20210804_142347657.jpg
IMG_20210804_142354132(1).jpg

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Never have..............did you discover where the shroud came from, ie.e., your or a neighbor's sailboat.............maybe a marina neighbor is playing a trick on you?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
.......I will have to drop the mast......
Probaby prudent. Might look at pages 47-48 of your manual on standing rigging to see what shroud is missing to plan the repair. Please let the forum know how that shroud became disconnected, how it was attached and a photo of where it attaches.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Generally the t ball studs were held in place by rubber fittings or a plastic/aluminum fitting held above swung down to hold the t ball in place. Mast must come down. Suggest a photo of the other t ball shroud fittings to see what is used to hold them in place. Which one is this one and which side of boat ? Were the studs in the turnbuckle held fast by cotter pins?

Jun 12, 2021
Cotter pins or rings are in all the studs in the turnbuckles. I can not see anything above the attachment points up on the mast. That would make since. I have never used this type of attachment. I assumed that you simply turned them 90 degrees to horizontal, inserted them in a slot in the mast and then pointed them back towards the base of the mast. I plan to drop the mast tomorrow and examine the connection points.
Thanks to everyone for the answers. I have ordered the new style retainers. In the mean time I will fashion retainers using short, split pieces of fuel hose, trimmed to fit as recommended by "Dennis." Apparently this is a common issue.

8-7-2021 I received the new Standing Rigging Retainers, SKU 827460, today along with the rivets. As I recall, stainless rivets are hard to squeeze. Tomorrow we will drop the mast and examine it.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
Those retainers are intended to keep the shroud/stay in place while raising the mast. They should not matter once the mast is up, as there shouldn’t be enough slack to allow the t-fitting to turn enough to come out.

Are you sure the mast and the receptacle are OK/undamaged?

Jun 12, 2021
I will know when I get the mast down after the parts come in. Hopefully the shroud was simply not in properly when the mast went up.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Just out of curiosity, it appears this is a fitting attached to a shroud, not just a loose fitting. Was the lower end of the shroud attached to any chain plate on the boat? I'm not sure which boat you have, but it may be one that has an inner and outer shroud in each side. I'd think that looking to see which of these 4 shrouds is missing ought to be obvious. If it were me, I'd be much more worried if it's one of the uppers that came out. If it is a lower, I'd make sure the other lower isn't bending the mast too much.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
It was a 240. I think he answered there were no retainers on the mast. I can see if the T toggle was partially out with the mast down and then raised falling out. However I asked about the tuning and no response as yet

Jun 12, 2021
we haven't even started doing any tuning. I don't even know what my sail number is yet.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Once the mast is up and want help, I tuned too many of the 240 rigging as a dealer selling nearly a quarter of that model. That is a question needed to be asked but you indicated you ordered parts and when the retainers as I call them and the mast is back up is when the tuning needs to be checked.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Do you have any photos of the mast (assuming it's still up) that shows which shrouds are installed?