shower system confussion

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello all

I just purchased a 1979 Dufour 12000ct 45ft sailboat..... I have a few systems I need to repair.....

the main one is the sump system for the showers.... I pulled up the floor in the direction of where I thought the sump pump should be, and only found tank (6 gal).... it had 3 openings on it.... 2 openings would fit a 3/4 inch hose and the 3rd would fit a 1/2 inch hose.... but I found no pump for either shower... just these 2 tanks..... I am sooooooo confused....

would there be a pump for each shower sump between the sump and the tank ????.... or after the tank in line to the black water holding tank (30 gal) ??? ... also there is no macerator connected to the black water tank.... do I need to install one ?????

I wrote to the Dufour company, but they replied they had no schematics or information from before the take over back in the 80's..... any boat built before the take over, they do not have record on....

help, help, help, help

sincerely
Jess

ALNims

Jul 31, 2014
Hunter 356 Huis Ten Bosch Marina, Sasebo, Japan
Dufour Manual

I found this copy of an owners manual on line. Please see attached.

Attachments

Sep 28, 2008
Canadian Sailcraft CS27 Victoria B.C.
There is typically a pump with float inside the shower sump tank, or there could be one installed remotely. The shower sump does not pump to the holding tank but overboard.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
There is typically a pump with float inside the shower sump tank, or there could be one installed remotely. The shower sump does not pump to the holding tank but overboard.
Could be... but it all depends on the local gray-water regs that were bothering the owner who had the mod done.

Some areas you can't dump in marinas, harbors, and anchorages.

Some say you can't dump it at all; treat it like black.

Others say do what you want.

Only thing for sure is you don't want it loose in the bilge.

Sep 28, 2008
Could be... but it all depends on the local gray-water regs that were bothering the owner who had the mod done.

Some areas you can't dump in marinas, harbors, and anchorages.

Some say you can't dump it at all; treat it like black.
I guess some lakes may be no dump areas and a few harbors possibly but in the rest of the world dumping grey is totally acceptable.

Jess is referring to his showers. His sinks I am sure drain overboard without a sump tank/pump arrangement.

Nov 8, 2010
I guess some lakes may be no dump areas and a few harbors possibly but in the rest of the world dumping grey is totally acceptable.
That's simply incorrect.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
here is a post from wikipedia......

Graywater[edit]
Under current federal law, graywater is not defined as a pollutant, nor is it generally considered to be sewage. By regulation, EPA exempts discharges incidental to the normal operation of a vessel, including graywater, from NPDES permit requirements;[4] however, a federal court has ordered EPA to set aside this rule (see discussion of ballast water). There are no separate federal effluent standards for graywater discharges. The Clean Water Act only includes graywater in its definition of sewage for the express purpose of regulating commercial vessels in the Great Lakes, under the Section 312 MSD requirements. Thus, currently graywater can be discharged by vessels anywhere — except in the Great Lakes, where the Section 312 MSD rules apply, but those rules prescribe limits only for bacterial contaminant content and total suspended solids in graywater. Pursuant to a state law in Alaska, graywater must be treated prior to discharge into that state’s waters (see discussion below).

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I can only say, from experience as recent as my last cruise on active duty in 2010, that US Navy ships typically treat grey water the same as black, meaning we don't pump over the side inside of 12 NM. Once we are close to shore we hold it onboard, so every time sea and anchor detail is called securing showers is part of the routine. On the other side of that coin, speaking about 'the rest of the world'; Yes, they absolutely do pump grey water over the side just about anywhere they feel like it!

Sep 28, 2008
I can only say, from experience as recent as my last cruise on active duty in 2010, that US Navy ships typically treat grey water the same as black, meaning we don't pump over the side inside of 12 NM. Once we are close to shore we hold it onboard, so every time sea and anchor detail is called securing showers is part of the routine. On the other side of that coin, speaking about 'the rest of the world'; Yes, they absolutely do pump grey water over the side just about anywhere they feel like it!
And pleasure boats are not under the same restrictions as commercial shipping is.

How many boats do you know of that have collection tanks for grey water?

There are no restrictions on Canada's salt water coastlines for pleasure boats pumping grey water.

Sep 8, 2014
And pleasure boats are not under the same restrictions as commercial shipping is.

How many boats do you know of that have collection tanks for grey water?

There are no restrictions on Canada's salt water coastlines for pleasure boats pumping grey water.
Yeah, you kinda just reenforced my point. I made the post because US Navy standards typically 'exceed the minimum', because a US Navy Commander does not fear anything... except the EPA! Did you know a Captain of a US Navy ship can actually be fined individually by the EPA? This is the only case where civilian law can bypass the UCMJ.
Anyway, more to the point, my observations about the 'rest of the world' is mostly in the Eastern Hemisphere where US Navy ships operate, and personally witnessing commercial and pleasure craft pump grey AND black over the side wherever they please.

Nov 8, 2010
You guys have clearly never sailed in the med.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
There have been threats of banning grey water discharge in the Great Lakes but not followed thru.

About 5 years ago the epa proposed regulations so stringent that washing your boat would have been considered an illegal discharge along with engine cooling water. It took a while but congress finally acted to stop that.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
I heard you can't dump grey water in the mediterranean and they fine you heavily for doing so. Given the size of the boat maybe the PO was entertaining the idea of going over there.

Sep 8, 2014
You guys have clearly never sailed in the med.

I guess I should have been more specific, as in dead center target... I was referring to Asia, South East Asia, Middle East etc.; mostly 3rd World regions where they don't have enough maritime law enforcement to cover everything and the people in general have a noted distaste for following any gov't regulation, just don't care, or are totally ignorant of environmental stewardship... i.e. they dump whatever they want, wherever they want.

And yes, for more than a year I sailed in and out of the Med, up to the Baltic, and back down again. Any more assumptions?

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello all

thanks for all the input... my sailboat was built in France, and most of these boats are sailed in Europe... mine just happened to be sailed across the big pond to USA.... now I have the honor to be the new owner... I am trying to understand how everything works on the boat... I am rebuilding a few systems that stopped working before I purchased it.... I have looked everywhere and cannot find the black water tank... but I have located 2 grey water tanks (about 6 gal each)... one for each shower... almost all the screws and bolts are metric... it is something to work on this boat... built to European standards... but I am having fun, and some frustration with the systems....

again... thanks for all the input...

sincerely
Jess

Nov 8, 2010
I guess I should have been more specific, as in dead center target... I was referring to Asia, South East Asia, Middle East etc.; mostly 3rd World regions where they don't have enough maritime law enforcement to cover everything and the people in general have a noted distaste for following any gov't regulation, just don't care, or are totally ignorant of environmental stewardship... i.e. they dump whatever they want, wherever they want.

And yes, for more than a year I sailed in and out of the Med, up to the Baltic, and back down again. Any more assumptions?
No, not more specific. Less general.

Regarding the assumption.. with all due respect to your service, for the purposes of our discussion I personally would not consider your role on a 600 foot long grayship 'sailing in the med'.

Sep 8, 2014
No, not more specific. Less general.

Regarding the assumption.. with all due respect to your service, for the purposes of our discussion I personally would not consider your role on a 600 foot long grayship 'sailing in the med'.
Again, you assume too much. That particular assignment was not on a 'grayship', and if you feel like you need to try your hand at Navy Lingo at least get it right, they are 'Grey Hulls'. Also, we used to call it 'Steaming', some old salts still do; but today it doesn't matter if it's Nuclear, Gas Turbine, or our newest Diesel-Electric Hybrids, the US Navy calls it 'Sailing'...

Further, for the purposes of this discussion (and I'll be less general so you don't get befuddled) about overboard discharge of Grey Water waste, you know diddly squat about what my role on that ship was and to what degree of responsibility I had... I'm sure your knowledge of line and canvas 'sailing' exceeds mine by far, but stop making assumptions about the experience of others.

Try being a little less passive aggressive, you'd probably have more friends that way.

Jan 10, 2015
. . Pensacola, FL
...but today it doesn't matter if it's Nuclear, Gas Turbine, or our newest Diesel-Electric Hybrids, the US Navy calls it 'Sailing'...
True statement, shipmate! Even referred to getting/being underway on a boat the size of Nimitz that way (the 'black shoes' are grinding their teeth now over me calling a ship a 'boat'...they'll get over it.) Even us aviators would ask about when we "sail."

...sorry for the brief hijack, now back to the thread topic :D

Nov 8, 2010
Again, you assume too much. That particular assignment was not on a 'grayship', and if you feel like you need to try your hand at Navy Lingo at least get it right, they are 'Grey Hulls'. Also, we used to call it 'Steaming', some old salts still do; but today it doesn't matter if it's Nuclear, Gas Turbine, or our newest Diesel-Electric Hybrids, the US Navy calls it 'Sailing'...

Further, for the purposes of this discussion (and I'll be less general so you don't get befuddled) about overboard discharge of Grey Water waste, you know diddly squat about what my role on that ship was and to what degree of responsibility I had... I'm sure your knowledge of line and canvas 'sailing' exceeds mine by far, but stop making assumptions about the experience of others.

Try being a little less passive aggressive, you'd probably have more friends that way.
Huh. All this bluster does not change the fact that there are places in the med where it is ILLEGAL to discharge graywater. When you actually want to discuss that and not your illustrious naval career, let me know and I'll reengage with you not this matter. Until then, this is my final word.