Shower Sump Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 22, 2009
Catalina 310 Gulfport Small Craft Harbor, MS
Fellow 310 Sailors,

Can't figure out how to make my Shower Sump Pump work properly. Looking for some 411 from anyone with knowledge on this.

Y-Valve under galley sink is in "shower" position. But have tried it in "shower" and "refrigerator" positions.

Through-hull under the galley sink is open.

CB is on. Pump is on and running using switch in the head.

But shower does not drain. Have to use my shop-vac and suck out the water but can't get the water out of the drain itself.

I am not sure if the pump will drain the refrigerator sump...I will test that tomorrow when I get back out there.

Does that pump need primed? Clogged filter?

Appreciate any inputs on this.

Thanks,
Jim

Silvio

Dec 1, 2010
Catalina 310 Solomons Island, MD
Make sure the through hull valve for the head is open. Mine pumps out through the head inlet.

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
What does a shower sump have to do with the head raw water pickup inlet through hull which would be below the water line? Can you spell let's sink da boat?
My shower drain line occasionally gets plugged up too. It happens at the fitting attached to the shower sump box. I just flush it out with fresh water from the garden dock hose. From time to time. Then remove and clean the strainer. It especially clogs up faster when girl friend uses it. Which is usually with in the first few minutes. I finally just banned her to the marina showers. When its only me its just every few months or so.
My shower sump is in the bilge below the companion way. It has takes care of the shower drain,refrigerator,freezer,drain,wet locker,the lavatory area floor drain and it will soon handle the drain for the lavatory sink drain. Making for one less through hull.
But it has nothing to do with the head plumbing.

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
Most of the newer Catalina's are plumbed this way. The shower sump drain goes thru a vented loop to prevent back siphoning. I doubt the factory would have designed their boats to be in danger of sinking.
The seacock on my 309's sump and head inlet is a dual inlet, if you have a similar setup be sure the handle is in the fully open position.

Silvio

Dec 1, 2010
Catalina 310 Solomons Island, MD
What does a shower sump have to do with the head raw water pickup inlet through hull which would be below the water line? Can you spell let's sink da boat?
My shower drain line occasionally gets plugged up too. It happens at the fitting attached to the shower sump box. I just flush it out with fresh water from the garden dock hose. From time to time. Then remove and clean the strainer. It especially clogs up faster when girl friend uses it. Which is usually with in the first few minutes. I finally just banned her to the marina showers. When its only me its just every few months or so.
My shower sump is in the bilge below the companion way. It has takes care of the shower drain,refrigerator,freezer,drain,wet locker,the lavatory area floor drain and it will soon handle the drain for the lavatory sink drain. Making for one less through hull.
But it has nothing to do with the head plumbing.
No greater danger of sinking than with any other below the water line through hull with a vented loop. Unless I'm missing something. Only difference is the direction of water travel, out for the shower sump, in for the head flush. FWIW I keep all through hulls closed when not in use and recommend others do the same.

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
I have the same problem (fridge also) and have tried all of the items mentioned. It is probably the pump and I guess I will replace that in the spring. Maybe something new will show up in this thread.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
The 310's (at least the early ones) are plumbed with the shower and fridge drains exiting through a thru-hull below the waterline under the galley sink. There is a y-valve that allows you to switch between fridge and shower. The pump and pre-pump filter are mounted under the sink as well. There is a vented loop also.

It may have changed in later models but there are no drains (except bilge pump) above the waterline. Galley sink, shower/fridge, macerator and head sink are all below the waterline. Have not had a problem and I (and probably most of us) keep them closed when not in use or not on board.

C130--- I had a clog this year that was close to the drain itself. Used the Drano plastic snake that comes with Liquid Drano (did not use the liquid!!!) and it worked fine. Of course if the clog is beyond the length of the snake, that would be a problem. A wire fish may work for something like that. Check that filter also. Mine fills regularly since my son's hair is longer than most 8 year olds!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Suggestion: get some window screen material and glue it over the silver drain thingy. It'll catch the hair and let the water thru. Replace inexpensively as required.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
I do wish they angled the shower area a little better since water has a tendency to pool in the aft portion against the bulkhead. I usually just push the water toward the drain and then chamois the rest. Not to change the topic or anything :)

Mar 22, 2009
Will try to fish out the drain...thanks Jack.

Willl try the screen "pre-filter" over the drain opening in the head...thanks Stu

And will try to figure out that filter under the sink...thanks Witz.

The filter looks very clean but to be honest I haven't figured out how to "open" it yet.

I am hoping the attempt to unclog the drain line from the head will work.

I will let you know tomorrow evening if I figure this issue out tomorrow when I am at the boat.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Jim

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Will try to fish out the drain...thanks Jack.

Willl try the screen "pre-filter" over the drain opening in the head...thanks Stu

And will try to figure out that filter under the sink...thanks Witz.

The filter looks very clean but to be honest I haven't figured out how to "open" it yet.

I am hoping the attempt to unclog the drain line from the head will work.

I will let you know tomorrow evening if I figure this issue out tomorrow when I am at the boat.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Jim
The clear plastic cover on the filter just unscrews, then pull out the perforated metal cylinder that acts as the filter. Clean the mesh cylinder and re-assemble. Sometimes the water in the pickup hose drains back into the shower sump when you turn off the pump. Turning on the pump again for a few seconds usually takes care of this. Good luck.

Oct 17, 2011
Catalina 310 USA
since we are discussing the shower sump, I am curious on how you guys winterize it? Just pour some anti-freeze in the drain and run the pump?

I winterized all the other water systems on the boat last weekend and forgot about the shower sump.......(shower was never used last year).

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
That is what I do, just start the pump and let it pull a cup or two of pink through. If you see the filter fill with pink you have it done. I also take all my filters after I have winterized and dump the water from them, (and yes the pink stuff) so that they sit empty. Less chance of a freeze breaking them, and they act as an expansion chamber in the event there is water in a line that needs a place to back flow to.

I installed a bypass valve last year that lets me us the fresh water pump to pump antifreeze to all my systems right from under the galley sink. Saved a lot of time, and uses about 2 gal total for the full boat.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
I just pour it in the drain and pump it through. I have a similar setup as Long Story for the frsh water system but mine is in the forward portion of the bilge and it doesn't include the shower/fridge drain. Just the faucets, plumbing to the HWH (I have bypass valves to isolate the HWH so no pink stuff gets in it) and the sink drains (and head, since that's plumbed for fresh water...not directly to the fresh water tank though).

Last edited:

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
jim

Some thoughts :lastweek:

This picture shows most components......

If the pump is on you will hear it.

If the pump is on and working you will see it.

Fill the shower sump up with water, turn on the pump and give it a chance.....a minute or so.

or

Fill the frig sump and try that....etc other sump hose plugged....

paulj :troll:

Attachments

Mar 22, 2009
Ok. Drain is clear. Filter was good...unscrewed the plastic cover and cleaned out the mesh...it was pretty clean. Pump runs fine. But not draining. So me and my buddy proceeded to disconnect various connections to find out where the issue was.

Started with the output side of the pump. Blew through the hose and could hear the bubbles of air flowing out the through-hull. So that hose and the through-hull were working.

Disconnected the output of the filter leading into the pump. Filled a cup with water to see if the pump would suck this dry. It didn't. Hole in the hose. Switched hoses and it worked.

Put everything back together and it still wasn't working.

Final conclusion...multiple leaks in hoses. Hoses are 11 years old. Getting new hoses and will replace them all. Should be a fairly simple process.

Thanks again for all the inputs and thoughts.

Cheers,
Jim

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Again, make sure the seal on the clear plastic filter cover is good or it will suck air.

Mar 22, 2009
Again, make sure the seal on the clear plastic filter cover is good or it will suck air.
We thought that might be the problem. So we disconnected the "input" to the filter and then stuck the filter coupler down in a bowl of water. Sucked it dry in about 3 seconds.

We cut and replaced a few sections of hose. Just can't get the whole system to work when it is all hooked together. I will give new hoses a try and see what happens.

Thanks,
Jim

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
What was the relative height and distance of the source fluid during the test? It may be that the suction can overcome a small amount of head but can not suck the distance from the floor up.
If you dump water into the drain, will it remain there, or does it end up in the compartment just aft of the bilge?

Status
Not open for further replies.