Shower sump pump filter location

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
:(I'm hoping for some help here. My admiral took a shower on the new to us 1996 Catalina 380 Saturday and the shower sump pump besides being way noisy, also seemed to work really slow. Any chance there is a filter somewhere that protects the pump I couldn't find?:( I didn't look too hard as I was already busy putting a new faucet in the fwd vanity sink but I'd really appreciate any help with this.

Apr 15, 2012
Catalina 400 Milwaukee, WI
I had a few issues with the shower sump pumps on my Catalina 400 of the same vintage. Most frequently on mine, the centrifugal pump gets an air bubble that somehow causes it to lose prime. Cycling the pump frequently by manually moving the float switch tends to work after a bunch of tries.

Next I would try checking for crud (like hair) in the pump.

Additionally, one of my shower sump hoses was originally equipped with a check valve hidden under the floor of the head compartment. I removed and rerouted via a vented loop since I figured the hidden check valve was asking for trouble.

No filters anywhere on mine, other than physically on the sump pump... your C380 may be different.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Kimel, some pictures might help :biggrin: Alot of pumps have the filter screwed onto the input side.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Additionally, one of my shower sump hoses was originally equipped with a check valve hidden under the floor of the head compartment. I removed and rerouted via a vented loop since I figured the hidden check valve was asking for trouble.

No filters anywhere on mine, other than physically on the sump pump... your C380 may be different.
With a built-in shower sump, what Catalina did on our boats was this:

Shower drain - many of us used a dab of silicone to cover the shower drain hole with cheap plastic screen material - keeps the hair out of the system

Shower sump to pump - we have diaphragm pumps which always prime; check first to see what type of pump you have; centrifugal pumps are not the best application for this use

Shower sump to pump - hose, check valve, vented loop, pump, thru hull; the check valve can get clogged - I replaced our old flat Shurflo black one with a 3/4" Raritan which is serviceable' the vented loop reduces the amount of water that can backflow into the sump, as does the check valve

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4114.msg33674.html#msg33674

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
Thanks for the great information. I'll check it all out when I get down to the boat this weekend. As far as photos, I'm having problems loading photos onto my old as heck lap top. I now get messages saying my disk is full. I guess it's time to bite the bullet and get something that doesn't have a hand crank to fire it up. :solame:

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
Found the filter. Cleaned an incredible amount of hair, including dog hair ( the previous owner had a dog on board) out of the filter and voila' the pump works.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I get a tremendous amount of lint and hair from my shower,have a little screen that
gets removed and cleaned regularly
Nick

Quint

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 380 220 New Orleans LA
Kimel,

Just curious, since I have the same era C380, exactly where did you find/locate the filter for the shower sump? I probably need to check/clean mine, too, so any shared "Intel"/guidance would likely help me do so with less procrastination.

Thanks.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
A
Found the filter. Cleaned an incredible amount of hair, including dog hair ( the previous owner had a dog on board) out of the filter and voila' the pump works.
Add that to you spring commisioining list .