Shower sump probs

Jun 17, 2012
C&C 35 MKIII Manitowoc, WI
I have a 2002 Hunter 356. We are on the hook plenty in the Great Lakes. So we use our shower a lot. With our fail the shower box reservoir floods over every time. This happens with a very short duration shower. Such as shower on-get wet-shoer off-soap up-shower on-rinse off. I have replaced the float switch to no avail. The new switch seems to only ive the pump the on signal when it is at full high level. And the at times it won’t give the on signal until I tap on the reservoir box. of course by the time I do that the reservoir box is over flooded with soapy water heading for the bilge. I’m thinking of constructing a slightly bigger reservoir box and finding an upgraded float switch. The float switch brand (Atwood) is OEM on this Hunter and is the 3rd replacement. Any suggestions? Thank you…

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Why not run the shower drain hose into the bilge... it's all going to the same place and it will eliminate one more pump and the need to open and close a thru hull....

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Why not run the shower drain hose into the bilge
Mine does overflow to the bilge, but remember it is grey water which can contain more than just water.
The big reason is body hair.

I have the Rule shower sump, as @sail sfbay noted, on the Main shower. Works great.

I just replaced that OEM Atwood [ :thumbsdown::poop:], with Rule, on the forward shower.
Jim...

PS: The available space matters for replacement.
PSS: I never understood why the 2 brands were OEM on my boat.:huh:

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
You may benefit from a Rule electronic sensing bilge pump. A 500 GPH should do fine for that function and you may only have to power it up for the duration of the showers. The pump is operated by a computer chip that turns it On every 2 1/2 minutes for one second and if it senses water resistance on the impeller it will continue to run until all the water is expelled and resistance ceases. It is mainly used in shallow bilges where a float switch is not functional. These pumps will expel most of the water except whatever little backflows into the bilge. In the case of a shower box, backflow may not even be an issue. They are about $60 and very easy to install.

Jun 17, 2012
C&C 35 MKIII Manitowoc, WI
Thank you to all who provided a variety of insight. Now I’ll see what works best and do the change

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
On the newer 36 there is about 6” of depth under grate and a pump under steps that pumps over board no problem and yes strainer before pump been working since 07