Shower refinishing

Sep 29, 2016
Lord Nelson Lord Nelson 35 3 Full time cruiser
When we purchased our boat it had a Natures Head composting toilet installed (which we love). The holding tank in the shower seat had been removed but then they just screwed some plywood over the hole they cut out, painted it white and called it a day. I wasn't happy with that nor was I happy with the lack of "watertightness" in the seams between the bulkheads. Mainly I wanted to be able to shower without having to wrap a curtain all the way around me.

IMG_2937.JPG

I first epoxied some baltic birch marine ply in place and then fiberglassed over the gargantuan hole.
IMG_2938.JPG

Then after dewaxing and sanding every surface, mixed up some fairing compound and faired over the glass I laid and also filled any gaps and filleted all the corners.

IMG_2940.JPG

IMG_3650.JPG

IMG_3664.JPG

After all the fairing compound was sanded to satisfaction 6 coats of topside paint was applied.

IMG_3707.JPG

IMG_3708.JPG

Now all the gaps are watertight and only a curtain covering the entrance is required.

sailnc

Sep 6, 2014
Hunter 37C New Bern, NC
I am impressed! That came out looking factory-new! Did you use a sprayer for the finish coats?

Sep 29, 2016
I am impressed! That came out looking factory-new! Did you use a sprayer for the finish coats?
No we actually used Rustoleum Topside paint. The first coat we followed the instructions and rolled and tipped it but it didn't look good so all the subsequent coats were just rolled in alternating directions with a foam roller (no tipping). We did allow each coat to dry overnight and then sanded between each coat.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Rustoleum Topside paint
Thanks! I had never heard of that product. I do find it a bit annoying that they co-opted the term "topside" to mean everything about the waterline, while the true definition of the term is the surface waterline to gunwale. :)

I wonder it will adhere to stainless steel?

Sep 29, 2016
Thanks! I had never heard of that product. I do find it a bit annoying that they co-opted the term "topside" to mean everything about the waterline, while the true definition of the term is the surface waterline to gunwale. :)

I wonder it will adhere to stainless steel?
Be careful painting stainless steel. Stainless needs oxygen to passivate. This is how it forms its protective layer that makes it "stainless".

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Be careful painting stainless steel. Stainless needs oxygen to passivate. This is how it forms its protective layer that makes it "stainless".
Thanks, yes, but I'm thinking of the interior of my ventilation cowls. Not strength issue there.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Great work. Wish I had that kind of space in the head. With the shower curtain on three sides in my 2 ft x 2 ft head, if I turn around in the shower, I’m wrapped up like a burrito. I just don’t use it. Walk up to the yacht club and use the showers there instead.

Aug 10, 2010
Hunter 36, Quarter Berth Model Placid Harbor, Cuckold Crk, Patuxent River
Fantastic job - looks better than a factory job. I love our Natures head - we have one in our 1982 36' - one of the best "upgrades" we've done. However, it is tall, so "one day" in plan to cut out the platform where the original head sat, but I was always afraid of how to rebuild it - your project gives me hope that I can make it work and make the composting head more comfortable for my (short) wife and me (also short!)....thanks for posting!

Aug 10, 2010
Hunter 36, Quarter Berth Model Placid Harbor, Cuckold Crk, Patuxent River
oh and x2 on Rustoleum Topside paint - good product for a good price!