Shout Out to The GPS Store and (gasp) West Marine

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I went to the Annapolis show with the intent of coming home with a Standard Horizon GX6000.
The GPS Store had it online for a very good price and would be at the show. Another online store that I use had it for the same price but wouldn't be at the show.
I had forgotten most of the venders don't carry stock at the show, they just take orders and ship. At the GPS Store booth they could ship the radio, cost was a little less than their online price but I wanted to go home with the radio, not wait until sometime this week to receive it. I asked if they knew of anyone at the show with it in stock.
They told me West Marine has them at the show, wrote down their price and said to ask WM if they would price match it.
Went to WM, told them the GPS Store sent me over and could they match their price.
They did and I came home with the radio.

Kudos to both stores for making an inpatient buyer happy.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
A good reminder to not complain about the “sharpest knife ever” vendors at YVR. At least Steveston takes up half the mezzanine, and they do empty out the stores for the show.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Nice to see that WM is interested in competitive pricing, if you do the work. As for the GPS Store, remember the movie, Miracle on 34th St, when Macy's was sending customers to other stores? :) Take care of your customers and they will come back.

On a related note, I thought the "boat show discounts" were for the most part pretty lame. I looked at some Gill foul weather gear, it was all 15% off, then I looked at Defender's Defender 1st price, it was only $10 more and no 6.5% MD sales tax. When you figure in tax vs shipping, the prices were for all practical purposes, the same.

The discounts I saw were on the order of 5% and you had to work to get those prices. For the things we looked at and bought or will buy the discount basically covered shipping.

The best deal we found was on Sunday AM. APS, the rigging clothing store had a rack of buy one, get one of sailing gloves, hats and a few other things. It was a pretty good deal and the items were all pre-wetted. Didn't even have to take them to the boat to get them saltwater infused.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I like West marine.... I buy all my fasteners from them... big stuff I pay attention to sales and promotions... we need brick and mortar stores....

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
At the show, Lewmar attempted to cheat me … @Ward H helped set them straight. The snake that sold me 2 winches quoted the wrong price, over by about $50 per winch. I bit and then found out later when comparing to Defender that they screwed me. We went back and another fellow manning the booth "corrected" the price, but we're convinced that he was covering for the snake whom made the "mistake". They claimed that they made a "mistake" on the order, but I was holding the winch in my hand when the first guy quoted the elevated price. The first guy argued with us in an arrogant manner at first. Then he slunk off during the exchange when it was clear that he was caught, not to be seen again until we left.

Full disclosure, I was foolish not to know what the price should be before purchasing. Lewmar should look into the dirty dealing.

Last edited: