Should Spreaders Clamp In Upper Shrouds Tightly?

Feb 4, 2012
LM 28 Pilot House Sloop Pilothouse Campobello Island & Fredericton, NB
Question on standing rigging.

Should the end caps of the spreaders capture the upper shroud and hold it firmly in place once the end caps are tightened on?

If so, should I stress the section of the shroud between the spreader end cap and the upper attachment point of the shroud so as to remove the slack before tightening end cap of the spreader and capturing the shroud?

This puts upward pull on the spreaders while they are sitting on the saw horses. I figure tightening down the shroud to the deck wilful the spreaders down a bit.

Dino

Attachments

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I would say "firmly enough to not move".

When setting my spreaders' positions, I loosely clamped down the tips so I could move them (with a long stick) until I was happy that the angles, both above and below the spreader, were as equal as possible.

Then, I gently lowered the mast and tightened the tips just enough to inhibit any further movement.

HTH.

Feb 4, 2012
THT,

If you mast got craned into position and you had no retightening option, what would you do?

Dino

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
My spreaders are not tight. They adjust to the correct position as I set and adjust the tension on the shroud lines. Chief

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Spreader tips should be TIGHT.

The shroud cannot be allowed to slip from its optimal position where it bisects the angle of the shroud turning from mast to deck. On almost all boats this will result in a slightly upward angle to the spreader.

Its strongest here. If loose it CAN slip down, often on the lee side in heavy air. Tighten them.

Feb 20, 2011
THT,

If you mast got craned into position and you had no retightening option, what would you do?

Dino
I would do my best to find that optimal spreader position while on the sawhorses, I suppose. The shrouds won't stretch so much that it couldn't be done "close enough" to specs while horizontal.

Have a buddy keep good tension on the base of the shroud, set one spreader, measure the length of shroud above the spreader, and set the other accordingly.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Hmmm ... my spreader tips have an open slot to accept the shroud. The shroud is held in place with monel wire criss-crossed over the shroud and secured. The angle of the spreader is fixed by the ears and doesn't move when the spreader is fixed by thru bolts.

It seems to me that there is no reason to fix the shroud to the end cap so that it can't slide through the slot (but the monel wire does tend to create friction that generally holds the shroud in place). When the mast is in place, tensioning the shroud fixes the spreader in line with the angle of the ears. If the shroud was fixed, tensioning the shroud at the deck would pull the spreader down, wouldn't it? I want neither upward or downward pressure at the end of the shroud. I want only inward pressure as the shroud is tensioned.

Nov 26, 2012
Mine do not slip. The spreader mounts protruding from the mast coupled with the tension of the shrouds hold them in perfect position. I also do not use the plastic covers on the ends of spreaders. Just be sure all is smooth out there! Chief

Nov 26, 2012
You explained it better than I did Scott, but we do it the same way! Chief

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
i am with Jack on this one....... as for setting them up just make sure the distance is equal on the spreader tips from the center of the tip to the mast tang pin on the mast on both sides ...mine slip in to a slot on the tip and then i safety wire them by making a double x crossing the tip with round turns on each side of the shroud

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
The rigging instructions that I received from US Spars indicated that the shrouds should be clamped tightly at the spreader tips. They didn't say why the shroud clamps should be tight.
I would imagine there could be a lot of movement in high wind & sea conditions that could cause excess movement & friction, resulting in premature failure of the shroud. Apparently the clamps should be snug with some movement possible and level when the rig is hoisted into position, then tighten securely after the rig tuning is completed.

Nov 26, 2012
I am not disagreeing with anyone. I am merely stating the concept and procedures utilized by me for around 30 years and in the case of the Clipper Marine 26', I raised her mast often through the years. Mast not raised often with the Catalina 250 and her heavy mast. Realize that my boats have always been large trailerable craft so what works for me may not work for other sailboats. As Stu says, "your boat, your decision"!
Chief

Feb 4, 2012
The end caps of the spreaders capture the shrouds so there was limited choice.

The spreaders are pined in and as you can see form the pictures added to the original posting the outer ends of the spreaders has about 3' or 4' of play. See pictures with small tool to give an idea of that movement.

I just pushed each spreader towards the top of the past, then tensioned the shroud to removed as much slack from the shrouds in the area between the spreader tip and top of the mast as i could by hand, finally I tightened the end caps down and captured the shrouds.

I measured the distance from the spreader tips to the attachments to the mast and got 15' 10" on one side and 15' 9-3/4" on the other.

With the mast on the saw horses the weight of the shrouds are forcing the spreader tips upward. I am thinking that as the mast is stood vertical and the rig is tightened the spreader tips will move downward.

Dino

Oct 26, 2008
Are you saying ....

The rigging instructions that I received from US Spars indicated that the shrouds should be clamped tightly at the spreader tips. They didn't say why the shroud clamps should be tight.
I would imagine there could be a lot of movement in high wind & sea conditions that could cause excess movement & friction, resulting in premature failure of the shroud. Apparently the clamps should be snug with some movement possible and level when the rig is hoisted into position, then tighten securely after the rig tuning is completed.
After all is positioned, you climb the mast to do the final tightening of the spreader tips? That doesn't make sense to me. Are you saying that you climb the mast again after making final adjustments after sailing for awhile?

I also don't understand how you can measure anything accurately when the mast is down and in a horizontal position. There is no feasible way to tension the shrouds by hand to get an accurate position.

I'm guessing that spreader tips that hold the wire captive and are secured by a fastener don't actually clamp down on the wire shroud. The fastener simply secures the end of the tip so it can't come loose. The slot still has to allow movement of the wire shroud. Clamping an unprotected wire at that location would surely cause a wire failure, not by the miniscule amount of friction, but by constantly crimping and working the wire as you sail. I can't think of a worse thing to do than clamping the wire at this location. The strength of the wire would be severely compromised by any restriction between the terminations of the wire at the top of the mast and the chainplates at the deck.

Nov 26, 2012
Scott: another problem with this tight concept is while mast is down as you indicate the shroud length would be difficult to measure, plus our shrouds have been coiled up for transport and now not straight until we raise them back up! I don't get it! Chief

Feb 20, 2011
If my post #14 wasn't clear, it's a boat. It doesn't need to be perfect (!), it just needs to be "good enough".

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Re: Are you saying ....

Scott,
I honestly can't give you the rationale for US Spars specs for the spreader end clamps---maybe there is some provision in the design to allow for some vertical movement.
However, the US Spars mast installation operation / installation instructions specifically state, " During inititial setup, screw the shroud clamp on making sure that the cables are not locked. It will be necessary to lock the shrouds when final rig tuning is completed." I take that to mean that the shrouds should be tight inside the spreader end clamp when tuning is completed.

Oct 26, 2008
I guess there must be a variety of ways the rigs are designed. And, in your example, the spreader end is actually called a shroud "clamp". If the shrouds on your rig are intended to be locked when final rig tuning is completed, I guess that means that you must climb the mast to lock the clamp as the final step. What if you want to make adjustments? I guess that means the first step is to climb up there and unlock the shroud clamps. Is that right? I can't see where final tuning can be accomplished when the mast is down.

In my case, the shroud is simply fitted into an open slot at the spreader tip. It's designed to be captured by monel wire. There is no way that the monel wire is going to clamp the shroud. I'm with Chief on this one. I don't even bother with an end cap. The tag ends of the wire are simply folded back on the spreader and taped with rigging tape to prevent snags.

If I were Dino, I wouldn't rely on random answers. Instead, he should look for the specifications for HIS rig.