Should I run away from this boat?

tym2

May 15, 2022
Catalina 30 San Diego
I am looking to buy a 70's Catalina 30 and the boat is in awesome condition except for the keel bolts. Pictures are attached of the keel bolts and "smile". Please let me know your opinions. Thanks guys.

Attachments

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Depending, of course, on the deal you are trying to make. The Catalina Smile wouldn't necessarily break that deal. It is doable. How much would that cost? What effort do you need to make to effect repairs? How long before you can have her in the water after repairs have started? Talk to a surveyor and/or a professional yard about it.

Also, find out what @Crazy Dave Condon has to say about it.

-Will

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I would be more concerned about the deteriorated keel bolts than the "smile". As Will advised, definitely get a surveyor to look and advise and get firm estimates from a couple of yards for complete repair including dropping keel, replacing keel bolts, and resealing/fairing.
Might be a deal breaker.

Aug 21, 2019
Catalina 315 18 Grosse Pointe Park, MI
There are always boats in great condition for sale. Why buy a major problem? No doubt there are other issues with this boat that you do not know about... yet. Even a boat with no known problems will end up requiring a certain amount of work to get them ready for use. Why set yourself up for the aggrivation and expense of a "project boat?"

"There is nothing more expensive than a free boat."

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
I would have to ask what work has been done in the past. I thought that the keel bolts were of the stainless flavor, and those are clearly not. I wonder if someone replaced the bolts in the boat's past, maybe while repairing the wood that rots between the keel and hull. I would say the keel bolts need to be replaced with stainless and that involves dropping the keel, which in turn would require a repair of the finish which would remove the smile.

If the rest of the boat is in good shape, and you are willing to put forth the effort to replace the bolts, go for it, if not then running away is an option.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
To give up on an otherwise well maintained boat, the seller my know this is a big deal. Personally I'd pass. But you may have the skill set to fix it.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
It is a major repair and very costly. In addition, I question the remark in awesome condition. There are no photos nor survey report. In fact I question the owner or seller when this problem existed for a long time.

I have told buyers always to look at the motor well and then bilge. In this case, I would not walk away from that crap, I would run like hell. I guarantee there are other issues and suggest not waste our time on this supposed awesome condition

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Or get a survey to make sure there are no other problems, show the owner your repair estimates, and negotiate the price to include the repairs …..if you really want the boat.