Should I remove my water heater?

Jun 1, 2016
Hunter 28.5 Lake City, MN
I have an 88 Hunter 28.5 that I purchased three years ago. I have never used the water heater (currently turned off and bypassed). The water heater was replaced by the PO just before I bought it, so they must have used it somewhat. We sail on an inland lake (Lake Pepin, MN) and seldom over night on the boat. There is no shower on the boat (nice showers in the marina).

I have the Yanmar 2GM20F heat exchanger removed and antifreeze drained for a leak.

I keep wondering if I would find a good use for it.
Can anyone give me a good reason to keep it?

Mike

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
resale value. And needs change.

Dec 5, 2015
Oday 272LE Louisville, KY
I have pondered the same issue on my boat. I do not use the hot water heater and see it as a point of failure. When I asked other sailors about removing the water heater, most responded that I should disconnect the hoses at the engine and install a short loop hose between the inlet and outlet barbs on the engine. Some sailors suggested that I cut the 5/8" hoses going to the water heater and install shut-off valves to isolate the water heater. I haven't done anything yet, but it is on my bucket list.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Use your boat more! You'll want hot water if just to do the dishes.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Some sailors suggested that I cut the 5/8" hoses going to the water heater and install shut-off valves to isolate the water heater.
Now, that is a good idea in case of heater failure. All I have to do now is channel my inner Houdini to be able to get my ass in there AND out. :eek:

Jun 1, 2016
To be honest, I don't see where it would affect the resale value around here. If it had a shower, I could see keeping it, but as it is, it's only for washing your hands. We do have a microwave on board, to warm up water if we need it.

We do use the boat quite a bit, and most often, we go out for dinner in the evening after sailing. I think that I pretty much have myself convinced to disconnect it from the engine cooling system, but leaving it in place...

Thanks for the input guys!

Mike

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
To be honest, I don't see where it would affect the resale value around here. If it had a shower, I could see keeping it, but as it is, it's only for washing your hands. We do have a microwave on board, to warm up water if we need it.

We do use the boat quite a bit, and most often, we go out for dinner in the evening after sailing. I think that I pretty much have myself convinced to disconnect it from the engine cooling system, but leaving it in place...

Thanks for the input guys!

Mike
I think your current plan makes the most sense both short and long term. I'd agree that the biggest bang for hot water is showering, followed by washing. And winterizing is a PITA if you never use it. But if you sell it someday, the next owners might have a totally different outlook on hot water.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
I’ve thought about installing shut off valves on mine. What kind of valves would be best. Would plastic valves hold up to the heat?

Jun 1, 2016
I’ve thought about installing shut off valves on mine. What kind of valves would be best. Would plastic valves hold up to the heat?
I have a ball valve installed, and it's probably plastic. Keep in mind that if you turn off the valve, that you are probably turning off the AC to the heater as well, though there may still be some heat generated by the engine. I still don't see why the plastic ball valves would be a problem at less than 130 degrees.

Mike

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
I have one there and it is bronze. I would not try saving $5 on that (a bronze valve is under $10).

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Plastic is not acceptable for that service .. when the sea water stops one day, that plastic could see over 200F.
Bronze or brass there would be good because it should only see coolant, which is not corrosive if maintained.

Jun 1, 2016
Oh, I was thinking about the shut off valve for the hot water, I wasn't thinking about the coolant water! Kloudie is right!

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
I think your current plan makes the most sense both short and long term. I'd agree that the biggest bang for hot water is showering, followed by washing. And winterizing is a PITA if you never use it. But if you sell it someday, the next owners might have a totally different outlook on hot water.
I totally agree with Jackdaw. As for bypassing the heater you have two options and neither needs a valve (see pics)
Either you disconnect in and out hoses at the heater and connect them together thus creating a loop, or you disconnect the 2 hoses at the engines (configuration on yours may vary) and install a short bypass from the inlet to the outlet. That is the preferred way !
No valves needed but make sure you empty the coolant from the now unused hoses, and make sure that you empty the heater tank of all water.
You will also need to disconnect the cold water line from the tank and connect it to the hot water. No other changes needed. Again no valve needed. The only result will be cold water coming out of the hot water spigot. And once that done and tank empty, no need to winterize the tank.
Good luck
Water heater 02.jpg

Water heater hoses 00.jpg

Last edited: