Should I get a furling system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 14, 2005
Cal 20 Westport CT
I've been sailing my Cal 20 with regular headsails (working jib, a racing jib, and a genoa). Since I singlehand, I've rigged a downhaul, to avoid going forward to drop the sail (plus a sailbag attached to the headstay to store the sail when down). I'm wondering if it's time to invest in a roller furler. And, if so, which one? One consideration: I'd like to be able to rig my racing jib the regular way from time to time, even if I'm sailing with the furler most days. And a last question: will modifying my 150 genny work ok, or should I buy a sail specifically made for the furler? Any tips, mates?

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
CDI flexible furler

Did you read the earlier thread with the accolades given to this unit? For that size of boat, the Cdi furler will be great! If your genny is in great shape, it is worth having it modified; most all furlers these days take a #6 tape, and don't forget the UV cover, if you intend to leave a sail up. Give me a call for sail modification pricing. Dave Groshong Customer Service SailboatOwners.com Toll Free 877-932-7245 ext.116, Mon-Fri, 9-5 Pacific

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
$ave Your Money

IMHO, your downhaul is fine for that boat. I had a fractional rigged boat that had a Cal 20 110 jib and the dounhaul worked well. Harken has a RF that has a split drum so that you can use your race sails on it, but it's going to cost 50% of your resale value, so it isn't worth it. Doubt you would be able to recut your 150 for RF; it might cost nearly as much as a new sail. Good luck on whatever you decide. Rick D.

Jim

May 21, 2007
Catalina 36 MK II NJ
No, not worth the trouble for

a small boat. I used to hank on the jib and genny on my SJ-21. Get a title tamer and you are good to go!

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
Furlers ae great, but...

If you anticipate using 3 different jibs from time to time, then the furler is probably not for you. furlers that I am familiar with will not allow one to hank a sail on. All sails will require a "tape" that fits into the foil's slot. It is harder to change sails using a furler than it is hanking on to a fore stay. If you can get by with one jib then a furler is great. You can reef a genny on a furler, but you will lose optimum shape of the sail.

S

Sam Lust

Baloney- It's all about the boat and you

Do you like/love the boat? Will you hang on to the boat for some time to come? Do you care what it will or won't do for resale? If it will make getting out there more pleasurable and frequent then I say DO IT!!! CDI is a good choice as are many others. Most of the other designs cause the luff to roll up before the head and tack, providing better furled shape. CDI does not, but it is simple and cost effective. (Cheap.) The CDI is not designed for racing or quick sail changes, BUT, I don't see why you couldn't use it in a manner similar to a "Tuff Luff" system where the sail 9with a luff tape) is run up the foil using the halyard. You might have too remove the captive halyard from the luff for that. Obviously you would not be able to furl like that. I can tell you from my experience CDI is a very good company to deal with. Sail choice depends on wind in your area. I don't like a 150 on a furler because I've never seen one reef very well with any kind of shape.probably better between 110 and 135. Do your research now, work out a good deal at the Annapolis show in October. It's about the best time to buy.

Jun 7, 2007
Pearson- 323- Mobile,Al
I liked Hank -on sails

My last boat a 1988 Mac 26 came with three headsails. This gave a lot of flexibility to deal with changing wind conditions. Over the 7 years that we owned this boat we sailed with all combinations...once a double reefed main alone. My present boat has roller furling and it is nice to be able to pull a line to furl the sail. But sail shape is a problem. It is not that hard to change sails on a furler. If you go to a furler you may want more than one sail. We have a 160 and a 110. We use the smaller sail a lot during the winter or when we go offshore. That way we can have a smaller sail without losing shape. But roller furling is expensive. When I had my last boat a furler didn't seem worth the expense. But if money wasn't a problem I might have gotten a furler.

S

Scott

Pretty much agree with the last 2 posts ...

First of all, we hank on our 2 headsails, a 150 and a 110. I want a furling/reefing unit. If I am going to go to the expense of a new furler, I want it to be the best quality, it has to be good at reefing (just because it furls doesn't mean it reefs), and it has to have 2 luff sleeves so I don't have to make bald-headed sail changes. This isn't because I race, it is just the way I am. I would never buy a cheap furler, just to have a furler. It's either get what I really want or keep on hanking. For now, we will keep on hanking. Basically, I agree that if you like your boat and the expense isn't a limiting factor, get a furler that is worth getting, or don't bother.

Jun 14, 2005
Cal 20 Westport CT
Thanks

As always, thanks for the great advice, everyone. What a great resource this forum is! I think I'm going to stay with the hank-on jib, the downhaul, and the headstay sailbag. By the way, Jim, I do have a tiller tamer. Actually, it's a Cansail tiller lock, which I personally prefer. But it does the same job, in the situations I'm guessing you had in mind - heaving to and all.

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
I think

I think you should get one. At 70 yrs of age you will be amazed how much easier it is to go out for a sail. Your 125 will be perfect and when you sail with it furled you will not need the other headsails. It will change your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.