Should I buy a C34?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Drew

I am looking at a mid-90's C34 that I hope to use for staying-aboard 2-3 nights per week plus introducing my family (myself included) to sailing. I want a boat big enough to facilitate the occassional stay-aboard use and some privacy in the form of 2 state rooms. I do not want something so big that it intimidates a new sailor. I like the look and feel of the C34 but I also have sailing friends who deride Catalinas in general. I am looking for comments of any type. Thanks Drew

R

Roger Noble

Don't deride the Catalinas

I can't speak about the C-34, but Catalina's in general provide great value for the money. Those of us who own them understand that they are the "Chevys" of the fleet, and are comfortable with that. You can certainly get a boat with higher production values, but at a much greater cost. Ask yourself how you plan to use the baot, and evaluate it accordingly. Unless you plan on going offshore, the Catalina will serve you as well as another. If you're looking for a racing boat, a blue water cruiser, or just high status, the Catalina may not be for you. If you want a well designed and decently executed coastal cruiser at an affordable price, Catalina has your boat. Remember that Catalina is arguably the most successful sailboat builder ever, and their boats have sold more in their classes than any other. Then ask why that is before you accept your friends derision at face value. I've had 2 Catalina's, a 1976 27 and now a 1984 30, and won't hesitate to consider another if I move up from here. I love my boat!

G

Gary Jensen

Catalina alternative

Just what are the alternatives that your friends propose and what is the cost? Yes, I have a 380 Catalina that I like. I look at the Moody 46 and the Taswell 43 which are really nice boats and ask "What is my committment to water"? Is it that much?---- No! I'll stick with my Catalina 380 and when I go to sell it, I won't have a hard time. There is a small market for the upper priced boats that makes selling them very difficult. My next boat will be another Catalina!! The late model Catalinas are NOW Blue water rated. Bottom line---Great boat ESPECIALLY for the money.........

T

Tom Senator

Sailing freinds that deride Catalina's ?

They must be hunter owners <LOL>.....really why are they deriding Catalina's . Now if they were pure "racers" then I could see them thinking the Catalina is not a "super fast racer". I agree its not a "J" boat. But if a storm hit with heavy winds and seas I'd feel better with my family on this boat----they'd be more comfortable...... But then again its meant to be a solid cruiser with a good turn of speed not lightning fast though (alot of "true" Blue water cruiser are not fast----but that's ok when you get hit by a storm).....I have owned a few sail boats and I LOVE my 36MKII. I really do its got everything and so many great features .....For instance.take a look at the used Catalina market for my boat ---- you can't FIND one if you wanted and most are going for what they were bought for !.... Try and find THAT consistently with another manufacturer --- this is a fact that can be verified by looking at the prices and scaning the classifieds. This in itself says alot about the boat (at least the 36 in my instance)...I've looked at all the major manufacturers and I like this one the best for all the features and sailing manners that it has (but I do admit I like the new Moody's a bit ---- but at 60% more $$ I don't know ) Also did these people ever OWN their own Catalina----probably not !! Maybe they spent way too much for thier boat and they are trying justify it by trashing Catalina's ----- I call it "Catalina Envy"

L

Les Murray

I'm in the same "boat"

I am in the process of buying a Catalina 36 and it has come highly recommended. The thing I am finding is that for the age and condition, it is actually a little more than other boats, namely Pearsons, Irwins, Hunters, C&Cs, and S2s. The resale market on these boats seems very strong and I doubt if I my future boat will lose value. I have chartered a Cat 34 before and like its interior and sailing ability. I think you should also consider a 36. The interior is even roomier, has a more stable sailing platform, and is not much more in price. I have the same requirements, coastal cruising, kids (4), and mostly weekend use with a couple of week long trips per year. Les Murray soon to be Cat 36 owner

B

BILL SHAKUN

VALUE IS EXCELLENT

My family has a 34 and a 380, both have given us great value and sailing comfort.We sail one on LI sound and one on a southern lake. The accomodations for children is excellent. Annual maint has been as expected mostly prevention. Every sailor has expectations beyond their sailing opportunities. So what every you buy ENJOY until the next boat.

D

Don on Forever C-34 Hull 1258

Love my '93' C-34

If you think it is hard to find a 36 try finding a 34. C-34 has a great association, with lots of shared wisdom as to upgrades and fixes. I have had my boat from new for 6 years, and have had to add very little and fix very little. You can't get into to much trouble with a C-34,on the Chesapeake Bay, however, seek out other owners in your area and see if they are satisfied with the C-34's capabilities for the waters you will most likely be sailing.

R

Rich

C34 Go 4 it

Hey guys I have a 1994 c-34 and sail it all over the chesapeake. My wife doesnt like to heel over a lot and she loves our 34. We have had it out on the ocean at cape may and it handled well in 8 to 10 ft seas with 26 k of wind. It is a great boat for 2 people to handle and can accomodate another cruise along non sailor coule as well. GOOD CHOICE Now the trick is to try to find one! Rich Enchantress c-34

B

Bruce Croaning

Value is excellent response

Saw Bill Shakun's response and noted that he sails one of his Catalinas in Long Island Sound. We are starting a C380 fleet for Long Island Sound and would like to know of his interest, but he is not listed in the directory.

R

Rick Spear

C34 mkII owner

I own a '96 Catalina MK2, and it is the best boat I've ever had. I've owned boats over the last 25 years, and this boat the best. My family and I use it as a cottage, and cruise weekends and for an extended vacation every year. This boat is very comfortable for all of us. I understand that a Tartan has nicer wood work, but I got a 34 foot new boat for the cost of a Tartan 27. This boat is also extremely fast. I can usually beat those more expensive guys. In the scheme of things I acknowledge that Catalinas are comparable to a Chevy, but my Chevy is just great (remember, it's a Chevy not a Yugo).

B

Brad Colon

Happy Catalina 34 owner

I believe that you will find the Catalina 34 to be a boat which is a good value for the amount of money spent. Having previously owned a Pearson and having sailed Pearsons, Tartans, Express 35, Pearson 39, Oday 322, and on S-2s we have been pleasantly surpised by our 1994 Catalina 34. It is a good family boat. It is not the fastest boat on Lake Erie but it handles the conditions well. One could do a lot worse than sailing on a Catalina.

Status
Not open for further replies.