Should auld acquaintance be forgot, and never brought to mind?

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan

Does any one actually know what that mean?
I don't.
But, Happy New Year every one.
gary

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY

I don't.
gary
Ask a good question and the internet will answer. ;)

The song is based on a poem by Robert Burns. in Olde English which celebrates remembering old times. Auld lang syne roughly translates to "the old days." The poem is about remembering past times.

And here are the complete lyrics. Be sure to listen to the recording. It may bring a tear to your eye.

Cheers! And may 2021 outshine 2020. :beer:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Ask a good question and the internet will answer. ;)

The song is based on a poem by Robert Burns. in Olde English which celebrates remembering old times. Auld lang syne roughly translates to "the old days." The poem is about remembering past times.

And here are the complete lyrics. Be sure to listen to the recording. It may bring a tear to your eye.

Cheers! And may 2021 outshine 2020. :beer:
We've been trying to figure that out since Rabbie Burns wrote it in 1788 in Scotland. If you sing 'days gone by' instead of 'auld lang syne' , it makes a little more sense. :)

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
I'm sure going to miss those Covid masks.
I wonder if we may see masks around for a long time now that they have become commonplace in the western world. Too many times we have picked up a bug on the outward journey of a vacation for example. It’s going to be very tempting to have a mask handy and pop it on any time one senses the need.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH

I don't.
gary
My understanding is that the song was traditionally to sing the day out at the end of an evening. Probably with company visiting.

My interpretation of the first line, is it is the beginning of a warning against forgetting. So, we drink a cup to not forget. We lift our cups in memory, less we forget days gone by. Just my read on it. It is both Old Scot and poetry, which makes for some real head scratching.

-Will (Dragonfly)

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I'm guessing it was written before the internet, because today, unless you block them, old friends keep returning like flies to honey. lol
TomY, I'm dying to know what's behind that little door behind the sink faucet. Have you wee folk who care for all that varnish when you are away?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I'm guessing it was written before the internet, because today, unless you block them, old friends keep returning like flies to honey. lol
TomY, I'm dying to know what's behind that little door behind the sink faucet. Have you wee folk who care for all that varnish when you are away?
It doesn't hold much! But in the back is the vented loop for the exhaust raw water. I wanted to get it high above the WL and easy to check.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
It doesn't hold much! But in the back is the vented loop for the exhaust raw water. I wanted to get it high above the WL and easy to check.
Whew. My imagination was running at full bore. Glad to know it wasn't some of the things I was imagining. Thanks.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My imagination was running at full bore.
I remember a door to a box in the story Dune. I think it was a test. That exposed your worst fears when you stuck your hand inside.